Female dwarf gourami update

• Thread starter AcuarioAmazonico
  • Start date

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Hi Guys,

I haven’t been online in many, many months. Work, life, then covid kind of took over. I love in Melbourne too so we have some of the harshest restrictions in the world (and an 8pm curfew!) and as I work in an associated industry I’ve been pretty busy. Had lots to focus on but am now back here.

About a year or so ago (I think) I found a bunch a blue female dwarf gourami. Always preferred females to the males and was so happy to have a LFS that hooked me up. They were in a QT tank for months and months just to be sure they didn’t have DG disease.
They now live in my community tank and add a great pop of colour. All females, no males. Thought I’d provide an update.

Excuse the pot bellies - the whole tank just had a blood worm feed. Plus pets are supposed to look like their owners: let’s call it their Covid chub :)

hope you enjoy the pics :)9C91CD2C-D581-4608-AE4F-C46E7CCF208D.jpeg9C2FE298-89F4-4322-BD7B-C5AFE9E2EB18.jpegD41D7170-E46F-4F9B-85EA-07F8F8F1A4BB.jpeg5DF18633-7EEC-4EB5-8CE3-14EEB91FE3A3.jpeg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Glad to see you again.

To be honest I doubt these are female.

Dippiedee

DoubleDutch said:
Glad to see you again.

To be honest I doubt these are female.
How do you tell the males from the females?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Only in this colortype that is quite difficult.

In other colortypes the shape of the fish and the lack of color is quite clear.

The males in this (cobalt) blue type have "female" shapes as well and the females are colored so all distinguised differences are gone.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
hahaha people always question it. These are 100% female. They were sourced by my LfS and when compared to the males you can see the rounded shape of the body, smaller size and lack of any red tinge in the fins.
Obviously most females are silver (with bit of yellow or blue in the light) but this variation the females are bright blue which is why I prefer this type of DG :)

I’ll have to get a male and breed a pair to prove it ;)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
AcuarioAmazonico said:
I’ll have to get a male and breed a pair to prove it ;)
Yeahhh hahaha. That's what I was planning to say : I am only convinced if (s)he lays eggs hahahaha.

As said the rounder body doesn't say a thing in this type, neither is the dorsal fin, etc.....

They look healthy so hoping they'll spawn soon and I am wrong hahaha.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
Yeahhh hahaha. That's what I was planning to say : I am only convinced if (s)he lays eggs hahahaha.

As said the rounder body doesn't say a thing in this type, neither is the dorsal fin, etc.....

They look healthy so hoping they'll spawn soon and I am wrong hahaha.

I promise you they will! I’ll get a male as soon as I can (quarantine here). I moved my last betta on so I have a spare tank ready to go :)

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
DoubleDutch this is for you mate. Female been separated and fed well for a few days. Male in. Let’s wait and see :) 5887C487-4F16-47DE-AB77-7BBC67A63C5A.jpeg

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
DoubleDutch I’m sorry to disappoint you but I win! Spawning as we speak :)
DEE897AA-5CC7-4079-9DE3-84C7F6E2FE49.jpeg6BCF928B-10A3-4309-AC50-2FC9186B27CC.jpeg675FD84D-BC1F-4B74-AF8A-18E99BE0BD9F.jpeg7B55F8B3-F45C-4447-9E9A-8482AC8F651A.jpeg
can even see some falling eggs :)
Hahaha

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
AcuarioAmazonico said:
DoubleDutch I’m sorry to disappoint you but I win! Spawning as we speak :)
DEE897AA-5CC7-4079-9DE3-84C7F6E2FE49.jpeg6BCF928B-10A3-4309-AC50-2FC9186B27CC.jpeg675FD84D-BC1F-4B74-AF8A-18E99BE0BD9F.jpeg7B55F8B3-F45C-4447-9E9A-8482AC8F651A.jpeg
can even see some falling eggs :)
Hahaha
Yahooooo, great I am wrong.
Don't be sorry. You're not disappointing me.Congrats mate.

Maybe I should have put it differently.

Often these cobalt blue ones appear to be male though they have the "female" shapes and finnage. These are soooo difficult to sex and then someone appears to have two males killing each other.

But it is really great yours are indeed female (or a gay couple : joooooking)

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Hahaha I’m sure it’s happened.
I actually know what you mean. So often I’ll see a neon blue or flame dwarf gourami and people say “this is my female” and “that’s spawning behaviour”. So wrong.
I’ve had many silver females but these blues were kind of special ordered for me. As you can imagine breeders don’t like releasing females - takes away from their trade. I’m very proud of them.

Now I’ve proven a point I guess I’ll have DG fry to deal with hahahaha not sure if I ‘won’ at all :)

Top Bottom