Female Dario Dario?

1. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello all!

So took a trip to the the mom and pop LPS and saw Scarlet Badis (who we're new to the aquatic section) in a tank and went closer to look and upon further inspection, I saw much duller versions of the males.

So, I'm not entirely sure, but are they female? They're about 3 of them and have the slightest blue/green sheen to them in the tank and if they are, I might scoop them up with the rest of the males because of their rarity. If not, then thanks for looking anyways :)

Attached Files:

2. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Nope, those are subdominant males. I have two males in my tanks and one looks like that. Females literally have no color.
    Also, I'm super miffed cause I cannot find scarlet badis near me to save my life

3. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Ah I see. Thanks. I was thinking maybe because some people say they can have a bit of color, so this is good to know.

Thanks so much (and they really are impossible to find lol. It's why I got so excited!)
  4. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I feel that. I'm probably gonna have to order more fish, which is a pain just because of shipping costs

5. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Not all females are colorless, some have partial patterns.
  6. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Thats what I had thought to when I was googling in the store, but I have an untrained eye, hence why I asked here :)

(I know somebody else on the forum was looking for females as well...but I can't remember...maybe they'll hopefully see this post!)