Female Crown Betta Acting Aggressive???

Starfish2

Reaction score
So I have a 10 gallon tank, with a few fish, including 2 female bettas. yesterday I got my second betta, a female Crown Tail. I've heard that two or more bettas can get along, as long as they are females. But my new crown tail is actually nipping my other bettas fins? I have no idea what t0 do... I really don't my first betta to get badly hurt/ killed

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, bettas don't get along just because they are female. You need a much higher ratio of females in at least a 20 gallon long (so the fish can get away from each other).
What fish do you have in the tank?
I would return the new female and only think about a sorority if you get a larger tank.

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would definitely separate them as soon as you can. Some females can be just as territorial as males I've heard. And I've also read that sororities do best when in odd numbers, but I've never had any first hand experience with that.
There's also the possibility that you have an overstocked tank. What are your other fish?

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
No, bettas don't get along just because they are female. You need a much higher ratio of females in at least a 20 gallon long (so the fish can get away from each other).
What fish do you have in the tank?
I would return the new female and only think about a sorority if you get a larger tank.
Yes! Yikes this is a big no. My petsmart had two females in a 10gallon tank and it wasnt good... You can return one of them or divide the tank ( I suggest returning)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Starfish2 said:
So I have a 10 gallon tank, with a few fish, including 2 female bettas. yesterday I got my second betta, a female Crown Tail. I've heard that two or more bettas can get along, as long as they are females. But my new crown tail is actually nipping my other bettas fins? I have no idea what t0 do... I really don't my first betta to get badly hurt/ killed
Can you maybe make a divider through the middle of your tank with some net material and put each of them in separate part? Net material because it would still allow flow of water though whole tank. I think 1 betta should be fine in the area of 5 gallons. But I dont know how about your other fishes

Starfish2

Reaction score
motherofbettas said:
I would definitely separate them as soon as you can. Some females can be just as territorial as males I've heard. And I've also read that sororities do best when in odd numbers, but I've never had any first hand experience with that.
There's also the possibility that you have an overstocked tank. What are your other fish?
I have 2 gold skirted tetras, 3 black skirted tetras, 2 guppies, and the 2 bettas. + 2 algae eaters.

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tetras are schooling fish and can be fin nippers, the guppies are also not great tank mates with bettas.
And I'm not sure what exact fish you mean by algae eaters but they tend to have fairly large bioloads for the size tank you have. I would try rehoming the fish you are not particularly attached to and then dividing your tank to house your female bettas separately.
It sounds though as if you are tending to things before they get too serious, so hopefully your tank will have a happy ending!

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettas, even females, don’t like to live with other fish of the same kind. If you’re attempting to have several bettas together, you need at least 5 females in a 20 gallon tank, with lots of places to hide. And even then it might not work out.

If you leave them in there together, the strongest one will kill the other.

cchassie

Reaction score
I just started a sorority and from those I’ve talked to and my own experience - 5 females in a 10 is minimum. The bigger your tank the more females you want - it’ll help mitigate the territorial ness of them and prevent one from picking on the others. Especially good if you have an alpha female who’s not interested in fighting and only wants everyone to be chill. I have 5 now and I’m going to continue adding until 9-11

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cchassie said:
I just started a sorority and from those I’ve talked to and my own experience - 5 females in a 10 is minimum. The bigger your tank the more females you want - it’ll help mitigate the territorial ness of them and prevent one from picking on the others. Especially good if you have an alpha female who’s not interested in fighting and only wants everyone to be chill. I have 5 now and I’m going to continue adding until 9-11
There should not be that many betta in a ten gallon tank, it is unsafe as you never know when one might turn (and sometimes it can happen months down the road and you happen to save only one females besides the murderer).

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
There should not be that many betta in a ten gallon tank, it is unsafe as you never know when one might turn (and sometimes it can happen months down the road and you happen to save only one females besides the murderer).
OK AND LEAVE IT AT THAT! We dont need to get off topic about sororitys, we all have our own thoughts and ive SEEN some threads on this where the bickering goes on forever.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lets sum it up, you are not ready for a sorority. Divide the tank or sell a betta. Fix the stocking issues (Upgrade the tank or sell some more fish).

cchassie

Reaction score
Oh! No mine is not that small! But I just know that 5 seems to be the minimum right now in my experience with a 29 gallon. Sorry for the confusion! I didn’t mean to start anything

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
cchassie said:
Oh! No mine is not that small! But I just know that 5 seems to be the minimum right now in my experience with a 29 gallon. Sorry for the confusion! I didn’t mean to start anything
Yeah we dont need to misinform people about putting more aggressive fish in a small cramped tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom