Help Female Comet produced eggs 2 months ago, now just getting larger and larger

3Comets

Reaction score
What is going on / What should I do? Here's some basic info about the tank, and I attached a picture of her. She's swimming around like normal but just bouncing off of things if she swims too closely to it. The scales are NOT sticking out, they are all laying flat on her body, and I see a little vessels but they do not look bruised or weird.

1. She is a "feeder goldfish"/comet...my daughter won them at a fair 2 years ago.
2. 60 gallon tank
3. 3 total feeder fish. The 2 large ones are 2 years old, and the third is directly from these 2 fish breeding 2 months ago.
4. I have 3 internal bio filters: 1 large sponge air filter, and 2 corner circle rock media air filters. Picture attached.
5. Tank is around 78 degrees
6. All ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in normal ranges.
7. Yes, I do weekly changes, I empty 60% of the tank water and simply refill and treat with a capful of Seachem Prime.
8. I use the tap water here, it's clean and fresh...our water company (North Wales Water Authority) does membrane filtration and ozone.
9. They eat "Bug Bites" floating pellets, made from fly larvae. Twice daily from an auto feeder set to only pour in about 15 pellets each at 8am and 8pm. Once or twice per week I'll toss in cucumbers, apples, or small banana bits.
10. No live plants, only plastic decorations.
11. Aquarium is 2 years old, haven't adjusted anything.
12. No new additions except the one surviving fry they just had 2 months ago.
13. I don't have any substrate, I keep a clean glass bottom and siphon anything piled underneath a decoration when I clean the tank.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not think this is egg binding related. While it may not be the usual dropsy that shows scales sticking out and the fish acts lethargic, this does appear to be fluid buildup.

Unless you want to try draining the fluid with a needle, there’s not much to be done IMO. You can try epsom salt baths to draw out fluids but I don’t think it will fix this.

OP
3Comets

3Comets

Reaction score
Demeter said:
I do not think this is egg binding related. While it may not be the usual dropsy that shows scales sticking out and the fish acts lethargic, this does appear to be fluid buildup.

Unless you want to try draining the fluid with a needle, there’s not much to be done IMO. You can try epsom salt baths to draw out fluids but I don’t think it will fix this.
Thank you. I actually have an appt set with a Vet for a $60 visit. He wants to begin with a tele-health and if need be, I drop her off. He's almost 2 hours away from where I am and I'm not sure what I'll be able to do beyond that.

New Threads