Female Bn Sexing

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by ponitboss, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ponitboss

ponitbossWell Known MemberMember

Well I had my bristlenose plecos in a pond for a while now and they not breeding. I believe they or 4 males and 2 females. The 2 have short bristle down by the mouth only and the 4 have long bristles all over they face. I have been feeding them cucumber, lettuce, green beans, algae wafers and protein pellets an still no luck. So I'm going to go to Lfs an buy some females. What are the best signs to look for other than short bristles?

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

When they are still young there is really no way to tell them apart.
    Some words of wisdom would be to see if you can swap out like 2 of the males for 2 females at a proper lfs(not petsmart/petco)
    The males might be too busy fighting over territory to be interested in courting the females.

3. OP
    OP
    ponitboss

I have alot of tank so I can just take them out of the pond and put them in

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

The ones with bristles along the lip may just be less dominant males, most females will be fairly large before gaining bristles along the lip and they will be very short depending on bristlenose species.

5. OP
    OP
    ponitboss

The ones that I think are females are about 2 and a 1/2 years old would a sub-dominant male of that age still have little bristles?

6. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I have a male that is over three years old (i've had him right at 1.5-2 years, so he is likely older than that) that just decided to start growing bristles, but just one or two around the lip. He has no signs of ovaries (which will be a whiteish area under the skin behind the dark of the stomach, easiest to see from the side on lighter colored bns - on darker ones you won't have that ability).
    This is him, just to give you an idea, he has one more short bristle than pictured here.
    20190618_203400.jpg