Female blue platy very antisocial and will not eat ???

laracroft0070

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my blue female platy had a black gravid spot she doesnt look quite due to have her fry yet although for a few hours yesterday she just sat on the bottom of the tank while all my other platies were fine swimming about and she also is not eating i have put her into another tank whats up with her ??? i cant check water till friday when i get a tester kit ...................................View attachment Photo3174.jpgView attachment Photo3179.jpg

Last edited:

pprocyg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My prego platies do that for about a week prior to dropping their fry. I cant tell in the pics but looks like you have some time before she gives birth.

laracroft0070

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
should i be worried about the non eating ??? i had another platy that was already pregnant when i brought her she had hers within about a week of me havin her her fry of 35 are still alive and well in a small tank and mothers back in the main tank happy as ever

Last edited:

laracroft0070

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well i got up to find she had died however all my other platies in the main tank are fine it only seems the very recent ones i brought have died so i must be going through a faze of buying dud fish im going to buy a heater and a tester kit because the platies are going between 73F and 79F in the main tank the warmer it is the more happy they seem by rapidly swimming around

pprocyg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear that. your profile says you are just starting, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? i wouldnt add any more fish until you get you test kit and find out if your tank is cycled.

laracroft0070

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah im gonna do all that before getting anymore fish the tester kit im gonna get tests for -:

pH level - measures the acidity or alkalinity of the water in your tank;
Nitrites - caused by the bacterial conversion of ammonia from dead plants, uneaten food and fish waste within the tank;
Nitrates - a by-product of Nitrites in the Nitrogen Cycle of your tank;
Carbonate - adds to the hardness of the water, and is found in tap water;
General Hardness - water hardness is caused by the concentration of metal ions in the water, such as calcium, magnesium and iron;
Chlorine - caused by the antibacterial processes used in tap water.

ive had my tank for about a month now all being well i will become better at looking after my fish

laracroft0070

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
found out my fish have white spot i got some treatment and currently treating brought heater too and a tester kit for ammonia and nitrite ................... ammonia is -: 0.50 and nitrite is -: 0ppm ...........
need a little adice as to if this is good or bad i assume the nitrite is good ..........................

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom