Female Blood Parrot Aggression?

Florence

For the past 4 years I have kept a male and female pair of blood parrots. They got along splendidly and never fought. During this time both the female and the male where incredibly docile and took food from hand. Then 3 months ago the male passed suddenly overnight to health complications, and her attitude turned sour. She became incredibly aggressive, going after my hand when I'm vacuuming. She has on more than one occasion managed to draw blood and tear skin. Nothing major, like paper cuts, but is there anything I could do to reduce her aggression? I've looked into dither fish but my fear is she'll kill even the bigger fish as she has remarkable control over her mouth for a parrot. I've no interest in another parrot for her. She is about 8 inches and the juveniles are small.

A201

I had the same problem with my 10" Red Texas FH biting me while cleaning out his tank. I solved the problem by bonking him on the head with the syphon. I didn't hit him hard. Every time he stalked my hand and was about to attack, I'd gently rap his big head. The Red Texas is healthy & apparently happy and has a new found respect for the syphon and my hand.

Florence

A201 said:
I had the same problem with my 10" Red Texas FH biting me while cleaning out his tank. I solved the problem by bonking him on the head with the syphon. I didn't hit him hard. Every time he stalked my hand and was about to attack, I'd gently rap his big head. The Red Texas is healthy & apparently happy and has a new found respect for the syphon and my hand.
He's a beautiful fish! I do gently bop her on the nose when she gets close, but this only discourages her for a few moments. I'm hoping she'll learn I'm friendly lol.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom