Female Bleeding Heart Tetra Guarding Pot

Guppy43

So I came back home from a long week and saw this? One (circled) of my bleeding heart tetra female got a weird coloration and is guarding that pot marked “G”•_•
Is she ok?

NC122606

Guppy43 said:
So I came back home from a long week and saw this? One (circled) of my bleeding heart tetra female got a weird coloration and is guarding that pot marked “G”•_•
Is she ok?
Looks like Breeding, Tetras will color up while breeding so it is not anything to worry about.

QueenLittleLizard

Yup. Most likely you're about to have eggs in that pot, if you don't already!

Guppy43

Oh wow

I gotta keep an eye out

Thanks for the heads up

chromedome52

First, the circled fish is a male Ornate Tetra, not a Bleeding Heart. The fish to the right is a female Bleeding Heart, notice the red spot. The difference is really very obvious if one stops to think about it. And before you ask, no, they will not hybridize.

Second, your average Tetra is an egg scatterer; they do not breed in caves or flowerpots. This male Tetra has simply selected a spot he likes, and is just waiting for a female of his own kind to swim by. They can be slightly territorial, but it's the clump of plants he's "protecting", not the flowerpot.

Guppy43

chromedome52 said:
First, the circled fish is a male Ornate Tetra, not a Bleeding Heart. The fish to the right is a female Bleeding Heart, notice the red spot. The difference is really very obvious if one stops to think about it. And before you ask, no, they will not hybridize.

Second, your average Tetra is an egg scatterer; they do not breed in caves or flowerpots. This male Tetra has simply selected a spot he likes, and is just waiting for a female of his own kind to swim by. They can be slightly territorial, but it's the clump of plants he's "protecting", not the flowerpot.
Whoa no need to get aggressive bud. I thought the one on the right was a male bleeding heart, as the guy who I took them from had told me.

chromedome52

Apologies if I got a bit snippy. I was in a hurry to correct the "advice" you got from two people who didn't know what they were talking about. I get frustrated sometimes, so I tend to be blunt about things. The comment that they won't hybridize was because, 75% of the time, that's the next question I see when someone finds out they have two different species. Like I said, I get frustrated. My intent is to educate, not denigrate.

Your Bleeding Heart is female because the dorsal would be twice as tall if it were male, and the analfin would not have a straight edge, rather it would be elongated in the front, giving the edge a curve. It appears to be a true Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, the original Bleeding Heart. There are two other species with the red spot.

Guppy43

No prob bud
Thanks for the insight too

I usually dun like to hybridize unless its dwarf crays

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom