female bettas

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have considered adding a gourami to my new tank but wanted to fly a female Betta by all of you. The tank is a 38 gallon and the occupants are 3 yo yo loaches, 1 clown pleco, 8 white skirted tetras, and 2 pristellas. Do you think a female betta will make it with this combo?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had issues with my females killing other fish if they are disturbed, but then of course, all my females are gone now. I think this could work because the tank is certainly big enough, but not with a Gourami. (another besides the betta) The tetras can be fin nippers but a female will not have the fins a male would so they perhaps would not be as tempted. Might be okay... It would be a very pretty tank with all the colors represented.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My impression (I may be wrong) is that the white skirts are more likely to nip at one another to establish status. A female betta if you have a clown pleco who is undisturbed is unlikely to be a target. As always have a backup plan to remove her if there's a problem but there shouldn't be. I would advise reading Chickadee's pinned thread on betta care.

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I definitely will! Sharon

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The tetras may work or may not. If you're going to try it I'd get 4 more Pristellas to keep each other distracted from the Betta...no actually I would get more Pristellas anyway since they need to be in a shoal of 6. The loachies and pleco would be ok. If you decide to try it, like poefox said have a spare tank or a divider or something in case it doesn't work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom