Female Bettas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Esimm03, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

So I was browsing online at bettas, and I saw some female bettas that I quite liked. I had a few questions:

Can I put 2+ in the same tank?, If so can they go in my 40L or do I need to set up another one ?

Also are there any fish they won't go with (like males) for if I want to get anything in the future?

Thanks,
    Ethan

2. Xander

Xander Well Known Member Member

People generally recommend a 20 gallon tank minimum for what's referred to as a 'sorority' of bettas, with a minimum of 7 bettas in the tank so that the aggression is well dispersed, and the tank should be very heavily planted so that each of the girls have somewhere they can hide and break the line of sight from others.

It's probably best to keep this as a species only tank. Some female bettas can be perfectly placid, and some can be even more aggressive than the males.

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok,

I have 2 males (each in there own tank) and one small community(40l) (thinking of putting them in the community) however it's my mimic reef so no plants, do females need to be in a school of 7+? Or are they fine in pairs if I put some plants in?

Ethan

4. Xander

In a pair, you're likely to have one female who is more dominant than the other female and she may bully the other to death with no other to take her attention.

What species is the community currently stocked with?

5. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Female Bettas are just as aggressive as males. Keeping 2 together will result in the death of one or both.

6. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

There's alot of lone fish due to me re-homing some and I had some die a few weeks back, so I have one celebs halfbeak, one platy, 2 albeno Cory catfish, one rabbit snail, one nerite snail, 3ammano shrimp and a notho killifish (I have a canister filter aswell (about 1 gallon).

I might consider setting up a species own tank if there's no room or anybody would be aggressive.

Ethan

P.s I'm thinking of re-homing the corys if there's not enough to room.

7. Xander

That's sort of the thing with bettas - their personalities will differ from individual to individual. Some are super mellow (comparatively, anyhow), and some are just monsters who cannot live with anything that moves. Some are companionable at first, and then all of a sudden just snap and turn nasty.

I can't tell you that absolutely under no circumstance could it ever work, but I can strongly urge you to see that it's not worth the risk. In your situation, I would personally start a new species tank for the sorority, and then restart the community with fish that are better suited to live in that size of a tank (the halfbeak, notho, and cory cats require more swimming space than the 40L allows).

8. C

Callum47 New Member Member

Generally, females can live together happily, although there are exceptions of course. Two or more female bettas will need a good amount of space, but they should be fine in a larger tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice