female bettas

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

hi folks,

i've been brainstorming for ways to add pops of colour to my tank. i was wondering...what's the deal with female bettas? i've been reading a lot of contradictory articles about compatibility, temperament, etc.

my loose plan is to fill the tank with things like zebra danios, tetras, cherry barbs, corydoras, dwarf gourami. not ALL of those, but some combination of them, once i learn more about compatibility.

do female bettas jive well with any other types of tropical fish?

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Betta + DG = dead fish. Just sayin' ;) DGs and bettas are both highly aggressive and therefore should not be placed in a tank together, regardless of gender.

As someone with a few failed breeding attempts, I can honestly say that female bettas are at least as aggressive, if not moreso, than males. I actually lost my most aggressive male to his mate, a red DT female.

Putting them with nippy fish like tetras, barbs and danios is still not a great idea, even though their fins are shorter and they are faster swimmers... they will probably get fed up with the tetras and fights will break out. And with those all being schooling fish, they will gang up on the betta.

Generally if you're going to keep a betta with community fish, they should be the same size or slightly larger than the betta, and non-aggressive. If they bite, the betta will bite back. If they are livebearer males and try to mate with a female betta, you're likely to lose a few fins and possibly a few fish, as female bettas don't tend to like guppies and the like trying to mate with them.

Cory cats tend to make okay tankmates, but it depends entirely on the temperment of the betta.

Hopefully _Fried_Bettas_ will see this, as he keeps his sorority in a community tank and has good views on appropriate tankmates.

3. neonblue1980 Member Member

dwarf gouramis are aggressive?? i had no idea. i read information online about them being peaceful members of community tanks!

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

No, true DGs are extremely aggressive, especially towards other anabantoids. Are you talking about real DGs or other types of gourami that happen to be small such as honey gouramis?

Edit: If kept with larger, peaceful community fish and there's only one DG, you're unlikely to see much aggression. But keep them in pairs, with multiple males, or with other gouramis, bettas, badids, etc, and you're likely to see plenty of fighting. Keep them with anything that fits in their mouth and you're likely to lose all those little schooling fish lol.

5. neonblue1980 Member Member

i mean a fella like a powder blue gourami, or a honey one!

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Those are totally different species from DGs. ;) Much friendlier, IMO, but still do not put them with bettas.

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

While I have seen female bettas get along with many different species. If your goal is a lot of diversity, than I would leave the betta out of the equation. Every new species just increases the chance of there being an issue. With a betta you pretty much limit yourself to passive tankmates, so a black neon tetra will probably work, but a black skirt tetra certainly won't. And any tank with betta(s) in it pretty much has to be understocked, they do not like be crowded at all.

I had a single pearl gourami with my sorority for over a year. Suddenly it just seemed to have decided that it had enough with all these bettas around and chased them whenever they came anywhere near the surface. I removed it before anything happened, just not a good mix like junebug said.

8. neonblue1980 Member Member

can you guys think of any other type of fish that would provide a good colour pop in a community tank? most of my decorations are shades of white and pastels, so i'd like something that would stand out.

9. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Chili rasboras are a great small, very colorful schooling fish. Really you have a ton of options depending on tank size and filtration, and your water condition.

10. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Endlers are always a good spark of color. Due to their crazy ability to reproduce I would stick with only males.