Female Bettas With Stress Stripes

1. F

Frankixo_ New Member Member

I had my 5 female bettas in my 36 gallon with 10 neon tetras and thanks to some wise people here they informed me that neons weren't the best with bettas due to temperature differences so I rehomed them. While the neons were still in there, the 2 of my 5 female bettas had stress stripes but they had only been with the neons for a week so I was giving them time to adjust to their tank mates. After I rehomed the neons I got 2 mystery snails which my bettas paid no attention to. So, 2 days ago I came home from work and one of my bettas (Marley)((she is not one of the bettas with the stress stripes)) was dead. Her eyes were missing, her mouth was partiality opened like she was screaming for help, and one of my snails was happily snacking on her. After this happened, I moved my females into my 10 gallon and moved my male plakat to the 36 gallon. It's only been a few days and the 2 bettas still have the stress stripes (they are behaving normally) and I don't know what to do at this point. Is there anything I can do to alleviate their stress or should I just give them some time? Thanks in advance!

2. Ruby_house

Ruby_house Valued Member Member

Are your female bettas in a sorority? because that could be the reason behind the stress stripes

3. AllySaturn

AllySaturn Valued Member Member

You had the male with them....

4. Ruby_house

i dont think they did, from what i understand he was the one in the 10 gallon and as they moved the females in there they moved him into the 36 gallon

5. OP
    OP
    F

Yes, that is correct. They are female sorority

6. OP
    OP
    F

I didn't think that was the case because they have been together for months and I've never had problems with aggression but I can separate them and see if that helps

7. Ruby_house

Thats probably why your bettas are stress. Even female bettas are aggressive towards eachother and sororities are pretty risky and usually crash