Question Female bettas with big stomachs

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 55g tank with 6 female bettas, 4 mollies, a bristle nose pleco and a platy, also a few different kinds of snails... a couple of my female bettas look bloated. I have tried fasting them for a couple days then feeding peas but their stomachs are still big. They look and act fine. I feed a variety of foods. Could they be egg bound?

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ahouseofscales said:
They just look egg bound to me.
That’s what I thought. I have 3 other females that don’t like that. Will they be ok being egg bound? I don’t have any plans of breeding them

ahouseofscales

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
That’s what I thought. I have 3 other females that don’t like that. Will they be ok being egg bound? I don’t have any plans of breeding them
They should be okay in time. Just keep an eye out for lethargy and pineconing. In my experience it can be caused by stress and having other females in the same tank.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some bettas do also naturally carry their eggs differently. Like crowntails end up looking egg bound most of the time due to how they carry the eggs.

HollyD21620

Reaction score
I have two female tank mates that had a similar problem. It took over a week for them to get back to normal. I fasted them for 3 days (they got real sassy when I fed the other tanks) Then had them share a boiled pea (deshelled and broken apart) twice a day for 2 days. Moved them up to 1 pea each twice a day for 2 days and they finally started slimming back down. For the next few days I fed them each two of their normal pellets twice a day. Neither of them ever acted as if anything was wrong, and their water was all good.

DIYbetta

Reaction score
Female crowntails get bloated really easily, however if it just happened in like a few days then you can probably get it back down. My girl ( crowntail plakat ) has been bloated every since I bought her, and I just have to be careful with her.

New Threads