female bettas stomach

fluxuploll

Reaction score
hey yall,

erm, my female betta that I bought like 1.5 months I fink has a problem but not sure. Today, my female bettas stomach got bigger a little. I didnt put her near a male betta thou so.
but she looks ok, its jsut her stomach.
is it possible that she has unfertiilized eggs in her stomach place or is she 100% constiapated?

thankz

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
she could be constipated. you can put her on a pea diet to see. feed her just a few TINY pieces (small enough for her little mouth) of a frozen, thawed pea in the morning and evening for a few days. Then fast her for a day and see how her stomach looks.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of her? A constipated Betta looks different than an egg-laden one. Feeding her some small pieces green pea (the inside only not the skin) and NO other food for a few days won't hurt either way.

OP
F

fluxuploll

Reaction score
can some1 give me a discription of how a egg-laden one looks like and what a constipated one looks like plz

thz

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
A constipated Betta will have a round marble-shaped belly with the majority of the bloat right under where the pectoral fins are (the little fins they have on the sides). An egg laden female will have a more oval shaped bulge right above her egg tube (that little white poppy seed sized thing under her).
I would feed peas either way since it can only do her good. Hopefully if she does have eggs she will lay them and be fine. Sometimes they do get egg bound (are unable to pass the eggs) and end up getting severely infected and die. You will know if this is the case if the area where the bulge is starts turning a dark color.

New Threads