Female bettas in a 10 gal?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Sagwa, Dec 30, 2012.

1. S

Sagwa New Member Member

What can I put with one or two female bettas in a ten gallon aquarium?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    I personally wouldn't put multiple bettas be they male or female unless the tank is divided. Females can be as aggressive as males.

Corys and Otos have been pretty succesful in betta tanks. they need places to hide/sleep and to escape the bettas if need be.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    S

Sagwa New Member Member

I see! Would they be aggressive to guppies or white clouds you think?

4. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

I had a male and female betta with Platys, Cardinal Tetras and Moon tails etc everyone got along great...it ALMOST worked out UNTIL I put in the red barbs and they attacked the Bettas and killed them...I loved my Bettas and was mad at the red barbs so much that I got rid of them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Considering that your tanks are overstocked, i will politely say that it wasn't the barbs that were the issue with that tank. Though they do not belong with bettas.

If you are putting multiple betta in a tank you will need a divider. One single female in a 10gal community can work but you should avoid other colorful fish with them, and other territorial fish.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Since bettas usually claim the top half of a tank they usually don't like anything in that area. that's why I suggested the bottom dwellers. They are particularly attracted to long flowing fins.
    some times it works for a bit then all of the sudden every body but the betta is dead. I wouldn't take the chance.
    Carol

7. AnthonyC4C

Tanks overstocked?

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure it's a typo, but your aquarium info says you have a goldfish and 2 platys in a 2.5 gallon tank.

9. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

It wasn't ment as an offence, just that yeah, is there really a goldfish in a 2.5 gallon? Or even platy's?

10. B

Borngemini Valued Member Member

I have the same with an Albanio shark! How did you (get rid)

11. AnthonyC4C

I got rid of them by bringing back to the store....(not a killer)

Also I do have 2 platys and a goldfish in a 2.5g I was going to put them in a 5 or 10 just because it just seems too small OR is it alright to put the platys in my 60 with my Angels?

SKnight...I didn't take offense O0

12. Z

ZombieKeepr Well Known Member Member

It'd be better to put the platies AND goldfish in the 60gal, TBH. Platies, angels, & goldfish can live together[I know this from personal experience and from others who have successfully done so for a LONG time]. Contrary to popular belief, goldfish don't do well in smaller tanks. They physically get too big and like any big fish, produce copious amounts of waste. My calico oranda has a 20gH to herself and TBH, I'd say it's better then the other options. Way better then a 5gal.

Hope this helps!

13. AnthonyC4C

Thanks....what would be good for the 2.5... that wouldn't mind being a bit over fed at times... I would like to teach my daughter some responsibility before getting a dog she already wants and bird, horse, frog, lizard, rabbit, monkey, sugar glider, and chinchilla lol...and did I mention she wants a triceratops LoL

14. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimming Well Known Member Member

Goldfish are cooler water fish and require a lower temperature water than angels and platys. They also cannot be housed in anything less than a 30g for a single one (more when they get larger) safely.

Fancy goldfish do well in warmer waters but still not tropical level warm - I'm talking 73F.

Tropical tanks on average are about 78F.

If you want tankmates for the goldfish, get a larger aquarium and go for loaches, like Dojo or Hillstream. They live in cooler water and are large enough to not be eaten.

Basically, goldfish need a cooler water setup ideally. People can keep them in warmer waters and it's been done, but it's sort of like putting guppies in a 60F tank. Sure, they'll live, but it won't be best for them and their lives may be shortened.

I've got goldies myself so I've done an exhaustive amount of research on the subject. I hope this helps.

2.5 gallons is beyond too small for goldies, it's simply inhumane.

I've heard stories of angels targeting goldfish so if you put them in there be aware that it could get killed.

Honestly I would rehome the fish or invest in a 20-30g cool water setup just for him.

ETA: And loaches are pretty darn cool if you ask me!

15. Z

JustKeepSwimming: I don't think that's ENTIRELY true. Goldfish's metabolisms speed up in warmer water, of course. But when my GF's goldfish were in that low of temps, they did horrible and laid around. They have to be at atleast 76 to be happy. I'm talking about my[well, her/our] fish only, and personal experience[and the acquired knowledge from others who have been keeping fish for much longer then I[I've been at this for about 8 years now]] but I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless the angels are simply relentlessly chasing the goldfish, I'm sure it'd be ok. However, angels are, after all cichlids so even after being fine for years with other fish, they can suddenly snap and kill everything. It's rare, but definitely not unheard of.

Anthony: A betta would be a good choice for a 2.5gal. Just keep up with weekly water changes and it'll be fine. MY mom and I had a disagreement on keeping bettas in small tanks[1/2.5s] and she won. They do better. For some reason, they're bigger, healthier, & generally more active in a smaller tank then a bigger one[atleast in the long run]. 4 of the 8 fish on her dresser are already 3 and the 2 crowntails in the 2.5gal look AMAZING. I can't wrap my head around that yet[all 5 of my bettas in the 20gL look terrible to the point I kinda consider euthanizing them yet I do weekly water changes, feed REAL blood worms, etc. just ugh]. My 2 in the 5s tho, are fine.

16. JustKeepSwimming

Zombie: Yeah I have read a lot of anecdotes about keeping goldies in warmer waters but it's generally accepted that they prefer/thrive better in cooler waters, under 78F.

There is another reason for this. Goldies require lots of oxygen and cooler waters house more oxygen. Warmer water has less.

17. Z

Well, my logic of thinking warmer water is ok is based on the fact that southern fish keepers who have their goldfish go thru massive heat waves in the summer and still subjected to higher temps in the Winter can keep these fish thriving without using chillers so in some way, it can be ok[as long as it can be kept stable because even going cold isn't good] IF you address the issue you provided.

Goldfish definitely need more oxygen in the water! I have 2 AquaTech HOB filters on my 20gH, lots of live plants and an air wand added in for increased circulation. Predator seems to be growing really fast[In truth, I have however lost the black moor and then prior, the other calico fish I bought at the same time as Pred so my advice might be a little wrong since I can't keep fish like I'd like[no losses]].

18. JustKeepSwimming

They do, but usually in ponds. These are hardy fish and can withstand a lot of abuse, but that doesn't really make it the right way to do things.

If we're just talking about ideals and what's best for the fish, it still stands that they're better with cooler water. :;toast

19. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

20. AnthonyC4C

I keep my 60g at 76 degrees

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice