Female betta with swollen belly? Is she too far gone to help?

10spall

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a female betta who I have had for a little over a year. For a while now I have noticed she has had a rather large/ swollen belly. She has been sitting at the bottom of the tank and only swims up for air. I only feed my fish every other day, so I don't think she is constipated, but then again I don't know. I have fasted her for a few days, but she still seems swollen. She was housed in a cycled 10 gallon tank, but I had to tear down my 10 gallon to move furniture around so she is currently in a critter keeper that I change the water on every few days. I know it is usually helpful to post parameters, but I was wondering if anyone could help me by looking at photos? I just want to know if I can help her or if she is too far gone. Thanks!
1585494238165.png

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry to say, but I think she is too far gone. That looks like either a very severe prolapse and/or rupture, and it's not something she will recover from on her own. I doubt surgery would help, even if possible.

I'd recommend researching different forms of euthanization, I've seen clove oil recommended if you happen to have some

OP
10spall

10spall

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I kind of thought so, I just wanted to know what she was suffering from. Had I caught it sooner what would I have done to treat her? I am curious. Thank you both for your replies!

LanceDog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long has she been fat? Honestly she reminds me of my second betta if I can compare fish. I had a king who was fat pretty much the whole time I had him, which was about 6 months. Bloated as heck. Eventually he started to hemorage and his abdomen busted open from it. I don't know what it was, I tend to say it was dropsy - I wonder if your fish experienced the same. He was active even up til then but I euthanized him.

OP
10spall

10spall

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A while now, I can't recall how long exactly. I've never heard of fish prolapsing. Looks like I'll be doing more research as well as figuring out the best way to euthanize my fish. She hasn't been too active other than coming up for air.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aw, poor thing. I'm so sorry :(
I too think euthanasia is the kindest option for her at this stage. That's very nasty, looks septic too imo. May she SIP

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Prolapsing has been getting more common in bettas, we don't really know what causes it unfortunately. I do see it a lot in cup bettas, so it may have something to do with poor water quality, food, or even just poor genetics.

Amythe

Reaction score
10spall said:
I have a female betta who I have had for a little over a year. For a while now I have noticed she has had a rather large/ swollen belly. She has been sitting at the bottom of the tank and only swims up for air. I only feed my fish every other day, so I don't think she is constipated, but then again I don't know. I have fasted her for a few days, but she still seems swollen. She was housed in a cycled 10 gallon tank, but I had to tear down my 10 gallon to move furniture around so she is currently in a critter keeper that I change the water on every few days. I know it is usually helpful to post parameters, but I was wondering if anyone could help me by looking at photos? I just want to know if I can help her or if she is too far gone. Thanks!
1585494238165.png
Im sorry but she looks far beyond help

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am very sorry you're going through this! I agree she looks too far gone, it looks like she had some sort of internal rupture to me but I believe you should consider humanely euthanizing her.

New Threads