Female Betta With Sparkling Gouramis?

1. RyleighJ Member Member

I have a 10gal tank that's divided for 2 bettas but only housing one. I was wondering... If I removed the divider, could my female betta live with several sparkling gouramis?

I know bettas generally shouldn't be kept with gouramis, but sparklings seem different from most of the others.

If it's a situation of "it could work but it might not," I have another tank the gouramis could live in as we're planning on getting some for that tank anyways.

If it's not possible or not a good idea, that's alright too.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately not, for the same reason as keeping bettas away from other gouramis. Sparkling gouramis are much smaller and more timid than bettas, so they would not fare well.

3. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I have sparkling gouramis and as soon as they see me, they are right at the glass trying to get food and hoping to not miss a thing :) They in fact remind me of how people describe their bettas.
    Whenever I use my tweezers to get something out of the tank, I have to be careful not to pinch them, they are right in between them, very inquisitive and not timid at all.
    Maybe other sparklers can be timid but mine are not.

That said, I would be worried for their safety since a betta is so much bigger. And if they ever find out that fins are tasty ....

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I meant more timid around larger/more aggressive fish, not people :)

5. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Oh, I wouldn't know anything about that, I try to stay away from aggressive fish.My habrosus are bigger but they don't mind them even if they plow through them in search of food ;)