Female Betta With Shrimp And Rosy Loaches?

Sage Exotics

I want to stock my 5 gallon and I really want rosy loaches, I was thinking around 5 of them. It has two red cherry shrimp already and some Ramshorn Snails. I want a single, colourful, centrepiece fish for it. Something with a low bioload, I was thinking a female betta, would this work?

Demeter

A betta and some shrimp (which may or may not get eaten) will work fine for a 5gal. I’d skip the loaches though. In a 10gal it would work but definitely not a 5gal.

Petruichthys sp. ‘rosy’ – Rosy Loach (Yunnanilus sp. rosy, Tuberoschistura arakanensis)

Sage Exotics

Oh.... I’m not putting my shrimp at risk, and I really really very much want the loaches, I might just do loaches then (I have learnt from many sources including here that they will be fine in a 5g) and use it as a nursery for some of my platys fry, thanks!

Samantha Levine

From what I've read, Rosy Loaches should be kept in a 20 gallon tank and that's just the minimum. There's not much you can add except more shrimp or snails. Bettas or Pea Puffers are the only other type of fish you could put in a 5 gallon. However, not with what you already have. Bettas may eat shrimp and bully snails. Pea Puffers will eat shrimp and snails. So maybe make it a shrimp/snail tank. Spruce it up with live plants and lots of moss and you'll have a beautiful, relaxing tank!

Top Bottom