Female Betta with other Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by spicy fox, Jul 3, 2016.

1. spicy fox

spicy fox New Member Member

Hey guys,
    So I've had my tank for a while now (had it since March), and I currently have 5 neon tetras with 2 young mollies. I used to have 3, but one of them died since she was pregnant and got very stressed out (I also used to have 1 otocinclus; I didn't know they had to be grouped together so he was very lonely for a while and would never come out of his cave unless I would clean the tank, and he eventually died). I got the mollies from my science teacher and they're absolutely wonderful; they get along great with my neons. When I first got them they were really tiny since they were just born months prior, but now they're bigger and almost fully grown.
    Anyways, I really want a betta. I have heard that females can be kept with neons, but I'm not sure about the mollies. The mollies don't show any sign of aggression, except the older one (I named him Gandalf :)) will sometimes chase the younger one around.
    Would a female betta be ok with these guys? I really want one, but I love my current fish too much to give them up just to get a betta. I think my tank is around a ten gallon; I'm not sure.

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Betas require a higher temperature then your Neons. I have a female betta in my community. Some betas are friendly and outgoing, others are not. It comes down to the individual.

3. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Thanks!
    Right now my tank is close to 80 degrees in Fahrenheit. My heater automatically sets it to be around 70-80 degrees.
    I think it should be good?
    What kind of fish do you have with your beta?

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

That's too warm for neons. They prefer it under 75F but that would be too cold for bettas. The heater should keep the temp at a consistent temp and not have such a large fluctuation. Are you sure the heater is not broken?

Also, none of your fish are appropriate for a 10g as neons are too active and mollies get too big. If you really want a betta, I would upgrade to at least a 29g and move your fish in there and keep the betta in the 10g with maybe some shrimp and/or snails.

5. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Thanks for the reply!
    However, my tank was a birthday gift from my father. I also cannot afford any other tanks.
    My neons are doing great in the tank, and I am debating with myself on whether or not I should give my mollies back to my science teacher. They don't seem too big for the tank right now (however I do know that they will grow!). I have been thinking of giving the two little stinkers back and keeping my neons, while adding in a female betta.
    I can provide pictures if you'd like.

6. el337

Even if you kept the neons, you still have the temp incompatibility with the betta. Keeping them above or lower than their recommended temp range shorten their lifespans and cause other health issues.

7. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Yes, yes, I know that. However, many people say that neons do great with betas. I'm getting mixed messages here. :/

8. el337

9. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with el337. Neons can't be kept with bettas or mollies, because of temp difference. It would be a good idea to give the mollies away. Are the neons tightly schooling? The neons should also be given away, but if you do this you can have a betta. You could split it and have two betta even. Or there's a ton of other fish that are good in a 10g.:) also welcome to the forum.:)

10. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Thank you! I was thinking of giving all of my fish to my science teacher since we are good friends and I trust her with them. She has a rather large tank of mollies, and she has 1 tetra in there (but I don't know what kind it is. It is a peachy colour with a black stripe). She also has a cory catfish and two fish of another breed; she told me what they were but I forgot. Would this be okay?
    It's going to be hard getting rid of these guys. I love them to death! They're really smart. If you walk up to their tank, they will go crazy because they know they might get food; and if you put your hand up to the top they'll immediately swim up there. But if it means giving them a better/bigger tank, then I will do it.

11. el337

It would depend on how large her tank is, how stocked it is and what temp she keeps it at. Her tetras and corys really need to be in a group so I would just let her know that she should increase the schools to at least 6.

I know it's hard giving up fish but they do need a bigger home. When you have the space for a bigger tank one day, you can keep them then.

12. Dave125g

A pare of angels, 11 tetras (6 glow fish,5 blackskirts) 6 bronze Cory cats, a clown pleco and a mystery snail

13. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Sounds cool!

14. Platylover

What size tank is it?
    Only the mystery snail would work for your tank though(spicyfox).
    I agree once again.:)

15. Dave125g

If your asking about mine it's a 75 gallon

16. Platylover

I'm not, but thanks.:) I was asking about the teachers.;)

17. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Her tank is a 20 gallon, and she has another bigger tank with huge fish. They are in her classroom, so I know what they're like.
    The 20 gallon has the parent of my mollies and their siblings; one of the parents unfortunately died not too long ago. There's lots of fry in there, but she said she might be giving them away as they get older.

Pictures of my tank!:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Platylover

Yeah her tank wouldn't be able to take your fish, at least the 20g. It actually sounds like her tank is overstocked, mollies need a 29g. I suggest giving them to your LFS. Beautiful fish.:)

19. OP
    OP
    spicy fox

Thanks. My mollies haven't earned their colours yet. Not sure when they will. One parent was orange, and the other silver. I don't know what they'll turn out to be.
    Anyways, I don't think she has as many fry now. She used to feed them to her turtles (it was sad to watch, but that's just nature) so I think she could have fed more to them. I can ask her. I don't know what's in there now because I'm currently on break.

20. el337

I agree that the 20g would not be appropriate for more mollies. It does sound like her tank is overstocked as is. I think your best bet is to rehome your fish to the LFS, post on craigslist or to a local fish club.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice