Female Betta White poop

Msb1231

I have a 6 female sorority tank. 5 are acting normal but one was floating at the top when I woke up this morning, she’s sunk to the bottom and floated back to the top a few times. She wound up floating up against the glass and I see a white poop attached between her fins. She’s also having 2-5 second bursts of erratic swimming. At first I was just going to fast her, thinking she over ate. But now I’m thinking of medicating. I don’t know if it’s too early or if I should do it before things get worse. And should I quarantine her at this point or should I be treating the whole tank??

grac3

quarantine her now and keep an eye on the other girls.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Should I start medicating her quarantine tank for parasite?

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Do you have a recommendation for a product to use?

Upvote 0

alven

Hmm. I wouldn't jump to medication too soon until we find out what exactly is wrong with your betta.

Quarantine is good for right now though.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

I just set up the temp. Tank and went to go get her. She’s no longer moving :( I’m devistated! She hasn’t shown any signs of being ill until this morning! The poop is still attached.... I’m really worried for my other fish now. They’re all swimming normally, but so was the sick one just last night. I sat in front of the tank for about an hour and she swam around looking normal. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

alven

That doesn't look like internal parasites to me. Do you mind filling out the emergency template though? It will help others who come on this thread help you better without asking so many questions all at once.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Have you had her for a while, or is she new? Is she bloated, or is she getting very thin? White poop doesn't necessarily mean parasites.

Meds like prazipro can be harsh and cause undo stress, especailly if the fish doesn't have parasites.

Here's a link to a fish vet site that specifically talks about white stringy poop being normal rather than being a sign of parasites.

Stringy White Fish Poop

If after reading this you still want to treat, then definitely put her in a QT tank to treat, and like grac3 said, keep an eye out for the other girls to see if there are any other signs/symptoms.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Have you tested your water?

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
15G
How long has the tank been running?
3 weeks
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
76 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 baby girl bettas
2 female elephant ear bettas
1 female crow tail betta
1 female veil tail betta
Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a week
How much of the water do you change?
20-25%
What do you use to treat your water?
For water changes I use API water conditioner and let the water sit for at least 24 hours

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum the substrate
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes for 3 days
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater test kit and API test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5.0
pH:7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
1-2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish?
A few crumbles each
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Top fin betta crumbles
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Freeze dried blood worms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
1 1/2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
A few hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Floating at the top and sinking to the bottom with a white poop
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Not to my knowledge
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
She was normal 12 hours ago, nice coloring, good swimming pattern, eating normally
Have you had her for a while, or is she new? Is she bloated, or is she getting very thin? White poop doesn't necessarily mean parasites.

Meds like prazipro can be harsh and cause undo stress, especailly if the fish doesn't have parasites.

Here's a link to a fish vet site that specifically talks about white stringy poop being normal rather than being a sign of parasites.

Stringy White Fish Poop

If after reading this you still want to treat, then definitely put her in a QT tank to treat, and like grac3 said, keep an eye out for the other girls to see if there are any other signs/symptoms.
I’ve had them all for only a short period of time, I was thinking she could’ve been sick when I got her
Have you tested your water?
Yes the water conditions are good

Stringy White Fish Poop

She didn’t seem too bloated and she was somewhat thin however she was still young

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Ok I’m not a beta keeper. Did you do a fish in cycle? Being the fish are all new it could just be the result of stress. Or it was the bottom of the pecking order.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Ok I’m not a beta keeper. Did you do a fish in cycle? Being the fish are all new it could just be the result of stress. Or it was the bottom of the pecking order.
I did cycle. She definitely was not at the bottom, she was 2nd or 3rd, she would chase 2-3 of the others but never acted aggressive or caused injury. The 1-2 girls above her rarely chased her and usually went after the smaller ones. When they did chase her they left her alone within a few seconds and again never caused injury. She never seemed to be distressed if she was chased and she was one of the fastest swimmers in the tank I checked her for injury this morning just to be safe and she was in perfect condition.

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

It takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank, not 3 days. I would significantly increase your WCs since you're now doing a fish-in cycle with a tank that has a fairly high bioload.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

It takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank, not 3 days. I would significantly increase your WCs since you're now doing a fish-in cycle with a tank that has a fairly high bioload.
I cycled for 3 days before adding the first fish (I was told by multiple people that 3 days is a good amount of time to cycle a tank before adding fish) it’s been at least 3 weeks since then and the sick betta was only added about a week ago. All of the others (including the one I added first) are fine she is the only one with a problem. I’ve done a full water test before making every change, before and after adding each fish. I have never gotten a bad reading. I checked the water again this morning and the levels are perfect. Earlier in the thread I posted the water conditions along with more info. I also sit in front of the tank for multiple hours a day and she was perfect yesterday, it was a VERY rapid change. Given the circumstances my assumption was that she was ill when I got her... one of the others in the tank is younger and smaller than her, making her much more susceptible to illness (from water condition, parasite or other issues) , yet she’s acting normal like the others.

Upvote 0

alven

Well the person or people who told you that it takes 3 days to cycle a tank...lied to you or don't understand the nitrogen cycle. Secondly, do you use API test strips or do you strictly use the API Master Test Kit? I'm asking because test strips aren't that accurate...

Upvote 0

Msb1231

I’m not sure that I was told the cycle would be complete but I was DEFINITELY told it was safe to start adding fish after 3 days as long as I continued to test the water frequently, which is what I did. And I added each fish separately while continuously testing the water, like I said the water didn’t change and the parameters are good. I use the strips and the full test kit. But the parameters I posted are from results I received using the full kit NOT the strips (I only use strips for quick testing in between using the kit for a full test)

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Ok again not a keeper but I’ve read that sororities can break down quickly. And it’s best to start all together. When adding new ones you can break the whole bond of the group. Bettas male and female can be vicious. Is it still alive? It could be one of the other bettas have hit it in its swim bladder and broke it. That’s why it just floating.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Ok again not a keeper but I’ve read that sororities can break down quickly. And it’s best to start all together. When adding new ones you can break the whole bond of the group. Bettas male and female can be vicious. Is it still alive? It could be one of the other bettas have hit it in its swim bladder and broke it. That’s why it just floating.
She didn’t make it. Now one of the others has the same white string and she did not earlier today. All of these fish get along great, I spend a lot of time watching them. I don’t know what to do at this point, they’re clearly sick but I’m not sure what to treat the water with

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Ok where are the betta people!! :). Help is needed!! Betta'sAnonymous and the 2000 others with betta in there name :).

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ok where are the betta people!! :). Help is needed!! Betta'sAnonymous and the 2000 others with betta in there name :).
Breeding peacock gudgeons, thats where i am at!

So far we have 2 fish with white poop and 1 of those is now dead. How is the one with white poo acting and eating now as well as the others? Also same with body appearances...bloat, sunken in bellies, etc...?

Any pics of the new one that is sick?

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Sororities are like playing with fire and are not recommended for beginners, some people don't recommend them for anyone. As said, your tank was not properly cycled. What brand of food are you feeding your bettas, how much, and how often are they being fed? Can you post a full tank picture? I would, personally, separate the remaining girls into their own tanks (a minimum of 2.5 gallons). There's already an issue going on and being housed together might worsen the problem. IF it is parasites, you do not want it to spread.

#1. A sorority needs 5 plus female bettas to be successful.

#2. Your bettas need to be at an odd number. 5, 7, 9, 11, and so on. They are less likely to fight at an odd number.

#3. You will need a 20 gallon plus tank. Anything less then that will most likely fail.

#4. The tank needs to be heavily live planted. Sororities have been done with silk plants, but it is easier to get a nice coverage and have it still look attractive at the same time if it is live planted.

#5. You need ALLOT of hiding places for your bettas. Make sure they have 2 holes so your bettas can not get cornered. I prefer coconut hides.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Breeding peacock gudgeons, thats where i am at!

So far we have 2 fish with white poop and 1 of those is now dead. How is the one with white poo acting and eating now as well as the others? Also same with body appearances...bloat, sunken in bellies, etc...?

Any pics of the new one that is sick?
So the one that passed away passed randomly, within 12 hours of being sick. The other with white poop has now released the poop. She has been swimming and acting normally (even when poop was there). I checked the levels of water again and did another water change just to be safe, everything seems normal. The other girls in the tank are also acting normal. I had 5 females in there but due to the one passing I now have 4. The tank is heavily planted (only live plants) and I have rock caves (meant for cichlids) in both large and small size. I’ve positioned them so the fish are able to swim through and don’t get cornered. I watch the tank MINIMUM 3 hours a day meaning I literally sit in a chair in front of it and watch them and NEVER see any aggression or bullying. Im also in the room with them most of the day and watch them from a distance for 90% of the day (knowing that at any moment someone could act out) I HIGHLY doubt this issue is due to stress or bullying/fighting based off of the usual activity I see. Other than the white poop I see NO difference in behavior in the one that’s still living. The one that passed away had the poop but also would float and sink to the bottom and began swimming erratically in bursts of about 2-5 seconds. the one that had the poop a few hours ago but is still alive has NOT swam erratically and is swimming the way she always does. She’s not floating or sinking and is utilizing the “swim through” rock caves as she usually does.
This is the one that is having the issue now. She came up for air when I took the pic but didn’t stay there and float or sink to the bottom, she continued to swim normally immediately after
So the one that passed away passed randomly, within 12 hours of being sick. The other with white poop has now released the poop. She has been swimming and acting normally (even when poop was there). I checked the levels of water again and did another water change just to be safe, everything seems normal. The other girls in the tank are also acting normal. I had 5 females in there but due to the one passing I now have 4. The tank is heavily planted (only live plants) and I have rock caves (meant for cichlids) in both large and small size. I’ve positioned them so the fish are able to swim through and don’t get cornered. I watch the tank MINIMUM 3 hours a day meaning I literally sit in a chair in front of it and watch them and NEVER see any aggression or bullying. Im also in the room with them most of the day and watch them from a distance for 90% of the day (knowing that at any moment someone could act out) I HIGHLY doubt this issue is due to stress or bullying/fighting based off of the usual activity I see. Other than the white poop I see NO difference in behavior in the one that’s still living. The one that passed away had the poop but also would float and sink to the bottom and began swimming erratically in bursts of about 2-5 seconds. the one that had the poop a few hours ago but is still alive has NOT swam erratically and is swimming the way she always does. She’s not floating or sinking and is utilizing the “swim through” rock caves as she usually does.
This is the one that is having the issue now. She came up for air when I took the pic but didn’t stay there and float or sink to the bottom, she continued to swim normally immediately after
She seems a bit bloated, none of the others are, everyone’s scales look great and their colors are all 100% normal. I haven’t fed them dinner for fear that this could be an overeating issue

She seems a bit bloated, none of the others are, everyone’s scales look great and their colors are all 100% normal. I haven’t fed them dinner for fear that this could be an overeating issue
I just realized something I wanted to clarify. I had the 6 female sorority tank BUT the “6th” female was removed from the tank because she didn’t seem to enjoy the other fish so I gave her her own tank. I earlier said “6 female tank” because she was only removed less than a week ago and I wanted it known there was another fish in the tank considering since I removed her I haven’t done a water change (like I said it was less than a week ago and I change water once a week) sorry for the confusion I should’ve explained that I’m just so worried about my girls. Iris is the one that didn’t make it and Rosie (the pinkish fish in the most recent photo) is the one that was having the issue earlier. BTW don’t be fooled by rosies lack of color she looks the EXACT same as when I got her. She’s always had a pale pinkish body with some color on the fins and head (hence her name <3)

Attachments

• E2EE462C-992B-48D0-8DF9-A85AF3F53159.jpeg
    E2EE462C-992B-48D0-8DF9-A85AF3F53159.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I just realized something I wanted to clarify. I had the 6 female sorority tank BUT the “6th” female was removed from the tank because she didn’t seem to enjoy the other fish so I gave her her own tank. I earlier said “6 female tank” because she was only removed less than a week ago and I wanted it known there was another fish in the tank considering since I removed her I haven’t done a water change (like I said it was less than a week ago and I change water once a week) sorry for the confusion I should’ve explained that I’m just so worried about my girls. Iris is the one that didn’t make it and Rosie (the pinkish fish in the most recent photo) is the one that was having the issue earlier. BTW don’t be fooled by rosies lack of color she looks the EXACT same as when I got her. She’s always had a pale pinkish body with some color on the fins and head (hence her name <3)
Rosie is absolutely gorgeous and I love her name! Are Rosie's fins always down
Iike that? They looked clamped. Once you get things sorted out, I would redesign the tank and get another female. I would also recommend upgrading your tank, just because there is no visible aggression now, it doesn't mean there won't be. OK, so you said your female that passed was chasing a couple of the other girls, but showing no sign of aggression? If the female is chasing the other girls, that is aggression and can lead to much more dangerous behavior.

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Rosie is absolutely gorgeous and I love her name! Are Rosie's fins always down
Iike that? They looked clamped. Once you get things sorted out, I would redesign the tank and get another female. I would also recommend upgrading your tank, just because there is no visible aggression now, it doesn't mean there won't be. OK, so you said your female that passed was chasing a couple of the other girls, but showing no sign of aggression? If the female is chasing the other girls, that is aggression and can lead to much more dangerous behavior.
Yes she has small fins that are always looking “clamped”, I’ll definitely be adding another girl to rebalance things and I’ll probably add some more hiding spots if possible. *just to update you guys, it’s the next morning and Rosie looks more active than she was yesterday, she’s not the most active fish to begin with but she’s utilizing the open space in her tank more than usual* The one that passed away wouldnt “chase” necessarily. I’ll do my best to explain what it looks like to me. She was a very curious girl and she would just watch the other fish, occasionally follow them. When I say they chase eachother I don’t mean darting around the tank trying to get close to each other every time they pass one another. These girls like to go up to the others, see what’s going on and they swim away. When they do this, they’re not showing signs of aggression or dominance. I’ve never had them fully chase each other though. I am aware that chasing is a form of aggression however I also know that it’s usual for this to happen in a sorority tank, especially one that is so new. What I see when they chase each other is the most docile game of tag ever! Lol. They’ll follow each other slowly (no one usually darts away or appears distressed) then they’ll reach a certain part of the tank and split ways. Then do it again with another fish. Even if they do “dart” or swim fast, they just stop a few seconds after they start and go on with their business as if neither fish cares and just wanted some personal space. This is why I watch the tank so much, I know that their calm little game could turn into a serious issue. I’m definitely not an expert in fish behavior but from what I do know, what my girls are doing is 100% normal. They’re trying to constantly establish a pecking order and it’s okay for them to chase as long as there isn’t any fin nipping, signs of stress or other issues (Again this is why I watch because even an established sorority could eventually have an issue). I definitely think Iris passed due to something she had when I got her, she declined within a 12 hour period and in that time there wasn’t any chasing (playful or otherwise) she was eating as usual, she wasn’t hiding or running from anyone.... just a normal little girl

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Yes she has small fins that are always looking “clamped”, I’ll definitely be adding another girl to rebalance things and I’ll probably add some more hiding spots if possible. *just to update you guys, it’s the next morning and Rosie looks more active than she was yesterday, she’s not the most active fish to begin with but she’s utilizing the open space in her tank more than usual* The one that passed away wouldnt “chase” necessarily. I’ll do my best to explain what it looks like to me. She was a very curious girl and she would just watch the other fish, occasionally follow them. When I say they chase eachother I don’t mean darting around the tank trying to get close to each other every time they pass one another. These girls like to go up to the others, see what’s going on and they swim away. When they do this, they’re not showing signs of aggression or dominance. I’ve never had them fully chase each other though. I am aware that chasing is a form of aggression however I also know that it’s usual for this to happen in a sorority tank, especially one that is so new. What I see when they chase each other is the most docile game of tag ever! Lol. They’ll follow each other slowly (no one usually darts away or appears distressed) then they’ll reach a certain part of the tank and split ways. Then do it again with another fish. Even if they do “dart” or swim fast, they just stop a few seconds after they start and go on with their business as if neither fish cares and just wanted some personal space. This is why I watch the tank so much, I know that their calm little game could turn into a serious issue. I’m definitely not an expert in fish behavior but from what I do know, what my girls are doing is 100% normal. They’re trying to constantly establish a pecking order and it’s okay for them to chase as long as there isn’t any fin nipping, signs of stress or other issues (Again this is why I watch because even an established sorority could eventually have an issue). I definitely think Iris passed due to something she had when I got her, she declined within a 12 hour period and in that time there wasn’t any chasing (playful or otherwise) she was eating as usual, she wasn’t hiding or running from anyone.... just a normal little girl
Even a plakat bettas fins shouldn't be "clamped". There fins should be nice and spread out. I have plakats, crowntails, halfmoon, and veil tail fin tipes, and clamped fins is are not normal in a healthy fish, no matter the fin tipe. Do you have a microscope? (I got one at Menards on black Friday for like $20.) You can collect a sample of Rosie's poo and look at it under the microscope for parasites, and parasite eggs. I am a bit concerend about parasites because of the white poop and now the other fish is showing the same signs. Clamped fins is not a sickness in itself, but a symptom. She could have parasites, be stressed and so on.. Again, can you please post a picture of your tank? I am glad Rosies doing better!

Upvote 0

Msb1231

Even a plakat bettas fins shouldn't be "clamped". There fins should be nice and spread out. I have plakats, crowntails, halfmoon, and veil tail fin tipes, and clamped fins is are not normal in a healthy fish, no matter the fin tipe. Do you have a microscope? (I got one at Menards on black Friday for like $20.) You can collect a sample of Rosie's poo and look at it under the microscope for parasites, and parasite eggs. I am a bit concerend about parasites because of the white poop and now the other fish is showing the same signs. Clamped fins is not a sickness in itself, but a symptom. She could have parasites, be stressed and so on.. Again, can you please post a picture of your tank? I am glad Rosies doing better!
When she swims they spread more but even when fully spread she does have some of the smallest fins I’ve seen on a betta. I could definitely order a microscope and check her poop, I already got the imagitarium parasite solution just in case I need it as a last resort, I figured it was better to have on hand. This is the tank with the multiple cichlid rocks, a swim through box, live plants, 1 fake plant I added to try and give more hiding areas due to the situation now, and some betta leaves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

When she swims they spread more but even when fully spread she does have some of the smallest fins I’ve seen on a betta. I could definitely order a microscope and check her poop, I already got the imagitarium parasite solution just in case I need it as a last resort, I figured it was better to have on hand. This is the tank with the multiple cichlid rocks, a swim through box, live plants, 1 fake plant I added to try and give more hiding areas due to the situation now, and some betta leaves.
It is definitely not planted heavily. I don't have any pictures of my sorority on hand, but here are some good examples of heavily planted tanks on the forum. Keep in mind, your tanks might not look exactly like these, as they are very well scaped and have grown in, but a general idea of how many plants you will need. Make sure your hides have 2 holes on opposite sides of the hides so the bettas can't get cornered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-194248.png
    Screenshot_20210515-194248.png
    637.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210515-194240.png
    Screenshot_20210515-194240.png
    1 MB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Colombian0