Female betta tankmates?

emilai333

Reaction score
I am considering putting Trey in the 5 gallon with my two remaining guppy females. She would be very closely supervised at first, but before I try the experiment I was wondering if anyone else has kept female bettas with guppies. I would never try it with a male; but I know that females are sometimes kept successfully in community tanks with certain types of fish. Trey is still fairly young, which I understand optimizes the potential for acclimating to tankmates. What does everyone think?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Let me get this straight...FEMALE Betta with FEMALE Guppies right? If any of them are males then it is a definite no-no. I probably would not normally recommend this, but if all are females you MIGHT get away with it. If you try it though you need to supervise very closely, and don't count on it working. If you notice any nipping or aggression above normal behavior then you need to have another tank you can move the Betta to.

I think that, since all are females, there is a possibility of it working, but female Bettas (and Guppies for that matter) can be nippy and even aggressive so it would be a risk. I won't discourage you from trying it though if you believe all are the fish are peaceful and you have an extra tank just in case.

OP
E

emilai333

Reaction score
OK thanks. I haven't decided yet, I may just get another new guppy. Yes they are all females, my male guppy tank will always be species only. Unless I add a shrimp or something as a cleaner, but so far its unneccesary. Well, I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

New Threads