Female Betta tank mates?

mrnegi

I just wanna hear from anyone who wants to share!

I am going to start stocking soon and wanted to get a broader perspective on Betta tank mates than just searching YouTube.

There is a female Betta at LPS that seems to be getting along well in a community tank according to staff, hoping she's still there when I'm ready to stock.

I would like some Mollies and a few Cory's but I don't think the LPS can guarantee sex on the Mollies and I am not equipped for little ones! So it's still up in the air. Staff suggested Zebra Danios, plus I hear they eat bladder snails?

Any advice, stories, suggestions welcome!

ValkyrieLips

Gosh I wish my male was docile and could tolerate tankmates. You can never really tell until you get them into the tank tbh. How big is the tank? Not to kill your dreams but bettas rarely tolerate and thrive with tankmates...

Bettatakeover

How big is your tank?

We have never had any aggression with our bettas (male or female) in our community tanks. That being said certain tank mates, genders and fin types have definitely worked better than others!

Ember tetras or galaxy rasboras are our favourite tank mates so far. They eat mainly from the water column…not the top or bottom. We feed frozen daphnia, cyclops, baby brine shrimp. And those foods are so small that our bettas cannot gorge on it the same as they do with some of our bigger fish. Those bettas are FAST when they want food and we’ve had trouble with them getting bloated on their tank mates food. Ember and galaxies are chill and slow moving. And they are small enough to get a school in smaller set ups.

Really fast swimmers like danios, rummynose seem to stress out our long finned boys out. They are also more prone to nip at the longer fins. They definitely need bigger tanks or they will drive your betta nuts.

Other fish that our bettas do well with are cories (but the bettas WILL steal their food so feeding can be a challenge). Cardinals are really good too. Our Bolivian ram takes no gruff from our grumpy betta boy but leaves him alone too. We’ve also had really good luck with our female honey gouramis and FEMALE betta. The honeys stressed our male betta out and he got fin rot but our girl bettas (only 1 at a time) have never had any issues with them. And they look awesome together.

Our bettas have all tolerated mystery snails, rabbit snails and/or nerite snails in their 10 gallons (those are our long finned boys that just do better as solo fish due to nipping/stress). They’ve all left our amano shrimp alone.

For us enough space, peaceful tank mates that are slower moving and like low flow water. We’ve definitely had better long term success with our females but we’ve never had a short finned boy.

And solo bettas in a 5-10G are so fun too. Especially if you want to try your hand at aquascaping. My daughter grows low tech plants like a boss with her 10G kits. She keeps shrimps, mystery snails and her boys.

mrnegi

Gosh I wish my male was docile and could tolerate tankmates. You can never really tell until you get them into the tank tbh. How big is the tank? Not to kill your dreams but bettas rarely tolerate and thrive with tankmates...
Working with a 10 gallon. I've heard that, hard to tell their personality until you actually get them in with mates
How big is your tank?

We have never had any aggression with our bettas (male or female) in our community tanks. That being said certain tank mates, genders and fin types have definitely worked better than others!

Ember tetras or galaxy rasboras are our favourite tank mates so far. They eat mainly from the water column…not the top or bottom. We feed frozen daphnia, cyclops, baby brine shrimp. And those foods are so small that our bettas cannot gorge on it the same as they do with some of our bigger fish. Those bettas are FAST when they want food and we’ve had trouble with them getting bloated on their tank mates food. Ember and galaxies are chill and slow moving. And they are small enough to get a school in smaller set ups.

Really fast swimmers like danios, rummynose seem to stress out our long finned boys out. They are also more prone to nip at the longer fins. They definitely need bigger tanks or they will drive your betta nuts.

Other fish that our bettas do well with are cories (but the bettas WILL steal their food so feeding can be a challenge). Cardinals are really good too. Our Bolivian ram takes no gruff from our grumpy betta boy but leaves him alone too. We’ve also had really good luck with our female honey gouramis and FEMALE betta. The honeys stressed our male betta out and he got fin rot but our girl bettas (only 1 at a time) have never had any issues with them. And they look awesome together.

Our bettas have all tolerated mystery snails, rabbit snails and/or nerite snails in their 10 gallons (those are our long finned boys that just do better as solo fish due to nipping/stress). They’ve all left our amano shrimp alone.

For us enough space, peaceful tank mates that are slower moving and like low flow water. We’ve definitely had better long term success with our females but we’ve never had a short finned boy.

And solo bettas in a 5-10G are so fun too. Especially if you want to try your hand at aquascaping. My daughter grows low tech plants like a boss with her 10G kits. She keeps shrimps, mystery snails and her boys.
I've got a 10 gallon with a mystery snail already cruising around in there.

Man if LPS had them I would just throw in some shrimp and call it a day! I think they're so cool.

I'm planning to get a short finned female at the moment. I hadn't considered honey gouramis! But probably the tank is too small for that?

I also hadn't thought about Embers and I know LPS has them. I like your point about the Danios stressing the Betta, they even kinda stress me out looking at them haha

A couple Mollies (and pray they're all same gender) or some small tetras are looking like the winner so far. Possibly cories later on when I get the tank a little more scaped, maybe I can make a feeding spot the Betta won't get to as easily!

otterblue

Just speaking from my experience - my male betta in a 55 gallon gets along very well with the cories and (from what I've seen) leaves them alone 100% of the time. He leaves the platys, all females, alone 90% (most of the -10% during feeding). He hasn't eaten or harrassed my neo.davidi shrimp. Of course, all bettas are deifferent.

Bettatakeover

Working with a 10 gallon. I've heard that, hard to tell their personality until you actually get them in with mates

I've got a 10 gallon with a mystery snail already cruising around in there.

Man if LPS had them I would just throw in some shrimp and call it a day! I think they're so cool.

I'm planning to get a short finned female at the moment. I hadn't considered honey gouramis! But probably the tank is too small for that?

I also hadn't thought about Embers and I know LPS has them. I like your point about the Danios stressing the Betta, they even kinda stress me out looking at them haha

A couple Mollies (and pray they're all same gender) or some small tetras are looking like the winner so far. Possibly cories later on when I get the tank a little more scaped, maybe I can make a feeding spot the Betta won't get to as easily!
In a 10G I would definitely say the embers, galaxies or green neon tetras.
The honeys and mollies are definitely too big. You might get away with 2-3 female platies or guppies. All live bearers have the same gin type for girls vs boys.

https://fishkeepingguide.net/wp-con...4.jpg?ezimgfmt=rs:368x368/rscb2/ng:webp/ngcb2

mrnegi

In a 10G I would definitely say the embers, galaxies or green neon tetras.
The honeys and mollies are definitely too big. You might get away with 2-3 female platies or guppies. All live bearers have the same gin type for girls vs boys.

https://fishkeepingguide.net/wp-con...4.jpg?ezimgfmt=rs:368x368/rscb2/ng:webp/ngcb2
Oh hey! Awesome tip on the fins thank you, that's the kind of interesting thing I'm really enjoying about this hobby!

Aw well. I don't wanna push it so I'll
prob save the livebearers for another tank.

How many tetras do you think? And will I be able to stock enough for them to b a happy little school?

Bettatakeover

Oh hey! Awesome tip on the fins thank you, that's the kind of interesting thing I'm really enjoying about this hobby!

Aw well. I don't wanna push it so I'll
prob save the livebearers for another tank.

How many tetras do you think? And will I be able to stock enough for them to b a happy little school?
I’d start with 6. And I would add them first. Personally embers are my favourite of the 3 because they are bolder than the others and are always out and about in my tank. They really color up from what you see in the store.

Ginger2078

I have Betta boy , Neo,in 10 gallons planted tank. For a year I’ve tried introducing different tank mates to him. Tetras, Corys ,Otos, amano shrimp-nothing worked. I give up for some time and didnt try again up until about a month ago when I picked up 5 small feeder guppies from LPS. Well , they are his best friends now. Go figure. My first Betta boy,Rocky, had cory friend from start. You never know until you try.
Good luck,

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Netti
  • Question
Replies
Views
SpecialPatrolGroup
Replies
Views