Female Betta Sinking?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by aquaticat, Nov 30, 2012.

1. aquaticat

aquaticat Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone,

I tried to search the forum for a similar problem but I just couldn't stand scrying the forum for a long time and wanted to try to get an answer faster ;D So here's the problem:

I'm concerned about my female Crowntail. She has lived on her own in her 2.5 gallon bowfront tank for 2 years. The tank has a filter but no heater, so I will be moving her to my new 40g once it is cycled, but I just noticed the other day that she has been acting strange... not swimming around as much, and not coming to the top when I tap the tank at feeding time.

I wondered at first if the water was getting too cold for her. I was going to move my heater into it for a little while to gradually warm it up for her (I will move her out while it heats up unless it would be better to just leave her in), but this morning I noticed that whenever she swam, she would always sink back to the bottom of the tank. I will probably move the heater in soon, but before I do, any ideas what might be wrong with her? She is mostly just sitting on the gravel with her fins spread out to balance herself, and won't even try to swim unless I tap the tank a bit harder than I normally do. To my knowledge she hasn't eaten in a few days; I've been kind of worried, she's never had this problem before. There have been a few times where I'd thought she was dead, but she responded to my finger tapping on the tank wall.

Any ideas what is wrong? I feel awful for her, she is my second betta and has been through several of my "beginner's mistakes" :( I want so much for her to stay healthy and get to enjoy a bigger tank, she totally deserves it, poor girl. Also, I just put the thermometer in, I'll post the temp in a bit. (Prepare to be shocked there, I'm sure it's really cold :eek:)

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

hard to tell when the necessary needs are not being meet. deff get that heater in there, i would just leave the betta in there while it heats up. but you will need to hang around to make sure it doesnt heat up to fast. only a degree or 2 every hour.

sounds like she is bloated form over feeding. does she have a big belly? has she pooped? i would try to feed her some pea. you can warm it up in some water in the microwave then peel the out side off and feed the inside to here, only a lil bit. hopefully this will help, it shouldnt hurt.

fish can go awhile without eating so i wouldnt worry to much about that yet.

3. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

She can be in shock from the cold water and yes you can leave her in while heating the water up plus when the water is warm feed her a mashed up pea(frozen or fresh not canned it has salt) and hopefully she feels better soon.

4. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Just put in the heater. The tank was 67 degrees! Poor little thing. When I came in I thought she was dead. She was barely moving and wouldn't respond to me at all. I stuck the net in and gently nudged her. She swam out of the way to my surprise. I hope that she doesn't die on me, I will feel absolutely awful :(

@bankruptjojo
    She's always seemed to have a big belly, so I wondered if I was overfeeding her. I only gave her 2 pellets a day, but I decided to do every other day. She looks no more different now than she ever has, but it looks like her scales are slightly "standing up" and she's not as shiny as she usually is. I know the cold water doesn't help, if that isn't the only problem.

5. bankruptjojo

6. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Quick Update,

She's still sitting in the same spot doing absolutely nothing. She's not moved beyond where she swam when I nudged her with the net. The water is now in the mid 70's. Getting there :\ Hopefully she'll make it.

Thank you for the video! I feed my bettas Full Spectrum pellets, I switched to those a year and a half ago from Top Fin pellets that were so huge they had to literally take bites out of them :eek: For my lil' Halfmoon I really need to soak them. He gets so bloated, and since he loves to forage around for fallen flakes that my shrimp used to eat it makes it a lot worse sometimes. He learned that dumb trick from his Platy buddy :)

7. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Just checked on her, as I will be leaving for a party soon.

She looks as if she is dying. She tried to swim to the top for some air, but couldn't stay upright and ended up swimming almost upside down while struggling to get a good breath. Otherwise she just floats in place without moving a muscle. She is barely breathing. I turned off the filter for now, as she can't barely move through the current anymore. It's not that strong, but she is just too weak it would seem.

8. bankruptjojo

Sorry to hear that hopefully shell pull threw but at this point prepare for the worst.

If she is having trouble breathing lower her water level, make sure the heater is still below the water line.

Start her filter back up for a lil bit when u get home so u don't loose your BB in the filter.

Good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Turns out I won't be leaving for a bit longer, so I spent about 15 minutes sitting in front of her tank, watching her. She stopped trying to surface altogether, and is lying on her side next to her little bridge in the center of her tank. Probably one of the hardest things to watch is one of your favorite fish, just sitting there, struggling to breath, one eye locked on you as if they are asking, "Can't you help me??"

I don't think she is going to make it through the night. She is just barely breathing. I thought for a minute that she'd died but she wiggled around one last time and then just sunk back to where she'd been a second ago. I hate seeing her like this, but it's like she's still trying to hold on. Just wish that I'd done something sooner, she probably would be fine right now if I had.

10. bankruptjojo

we all make mistakes just dont do them again :)

maybe give a water change if you can without disturbing her.

11. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry your betta isn't well.
    Good advice from bankruptjojo

12. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

When I got home, she'd moved closer to the heater, but was still just sitting there, barely breathing. There were several times I came in after that when I thought she was dead, only to find her still breathing on closer inspection. Poor girl. She just keeps on hanging in there :)

Thank you, Lucy. I've only lost a few Bettas, and when I have it's been very suddenly. I've not had to watch them visibly go downhill like Khari. But, there's always the chance that she'll keep up the fight and come through :)

13. bankruptjojo

Yeah fish can have as lil as one gill movement every 60 sec. I would try not to bother her to much as far as nudging to see if she is alive.

14. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Sad to say,

Khari died this afternoon. She hadn't moved all morning so I knew it was probably going to happen. She will be missed...

Thanks for all the advice everyone, hopefully I won't need to use it for a while though :)

15. bankruptjojo

Sorry she passed :( had to put one of my boys down not to long ago. Never easy when its such a personable fish/buddy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice