Female Betta(s) in 10 gallon

kemo_chan

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a 10-gallon aquarium that comes complete with hood and light, filter, and heater. Looking around at the selection of fish, I noticed the female bettas and was quite surprised. From all I had heard in the past, the females are supposed to be very plain and dull-looking, but the ones I saw were quite pretty! So, of course, I must have them. I understand that I will have to cycle the tank first (unless anyone believes that female bettas could survive that? As much as I want them now, I understand the need to be... humane, at least. ). I've searched through this forum and can't find a crystal-clear answer, so... does anyone have any suggestions on agreeable tank mates (I must say, I am partial to pretty, colorful fish...) or any advice concerning the bettas? Would male guppies look too similar to male bettas for the females? Thanks in advance!!

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Females as of late I have been noticing have been extremely colorful some breeders must have gotten board ;D anyway if u look on the thread for Bettas and plants there are some suggestions for tank mates. I can't remeber them off hand and if my betta ever gets tanks mates well I'm going to the store with a list : anyway I hope that string helps if u have any problems with ur bettas these guys on this forum are very helpful they have helped me with mine quite a bit anyway Welcome

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.com. It is very good to hear that you are considering the tank of Female Bettas. Yes, they are and can be nearly as beautiful as their male counterparts anymore. I have a tank with 5 baby females. They are all between 3 and 6 months old and they are all pictured in the Section all over the place as anyone who knows me will tell you I do like to show them off. They can hold their own against my males for looks any day.

As far as tankmates go, I wouldn't plan on any tankmates for a grouping of Females. They need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and if possible purchased at the same time to avoid territorial issues. You can possibly put Cories or Otos in with them but I don't think 10 gallons is enough room for Cories and Bettas as Cories like to be in groups of 3 or more also and that is too much fish for 10 gallon with 3 of each. You could put 3 Otos in with them but I will tell you that they are not super colorful. Just little tan fish with a black racing stripe on their side. I think they are pretty but not really strikingly stand out colorful. I would stay away from the Tetras and Platies and Mollies. While they are beautiful fish, Tetras are fin nippers and Platies and Mollies look too tempting to fight with. Of course Male Bettas are out. Gouramis are related and will not do well with a Betta of any type. Now that I have listed all the "not a good idea" things, how about snails? I have Ivory Mystery Snails in my tanks and they not only keep the tank clean but they are indestructable when the Bettas try to "play". Keep your eyes open at the fish stores but what ever you do don't get a fish on the word of the salesperson. There have been horror stories on this forum of people taking the word of the salesperson only to be sold inappropriate fish, (too large for tank when full grown, not compatible with other fish, sick, or just plain wrong for the person). If you see something you like and are unsure of your choice please do not hesitate to post a question on this forum. Someone probably has experience with the fish and can tell you what you will be getting yourself into before you buy. Remember the person at the pet store is there to sell fish not to talk you out of it if it is wrong for you.

I hope I have been helpful. Again, Welcome to Fishlore.com. It is my pleasure to meet you and I hope your experience here is as pleasant as mine has been. I have met some very fine people here who I call my friends and some of the best people I know online or off.

Rose

kemo_chan

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick welcome and answers! At this point, I still have plenty of time to make the final decisions (Heck, I haven't even started cycling the tank yet ), but I think I will end up sticking with a nice group of female Bettas in a tank all to themselves.
If I may make a general observation, it seems "pretty" fish get jealous quite easily. So they'll probably enjoy their territory with having to share as little as possible.

I'll be sure to continue to check in and let you guys know when I finally get to the point where I have fish swimming around in my aquarium. It's good to have someplace to show off our beloved fish!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom