Female betta releasing eggs and not eating

loveagoodleaf

So my female betta has had her vertical fertility stripes since around 2 weeks after I got her (around 2.5 months ago) and yesterday laid eggs for the first time. She ate the majority of them soon after laying, and since this is the first time I've seen this happen I'm wondering if there's anything I need to do for her/look out for? She has a bit of a bloated looking tummy (probably from all the eggs, I'm pretty sure she's not done laying), and despite normally being a very avid eater she refused bloodworms this morning. Should I keep trying to feed her or will she be okay eating her eggs? Will she go back to normal when she's done?
Otherwise she's pretty normal, just a little less active, but still coloured up. TIA
Not sure if I need these but:
Tank size: 12 gallons
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: almost 0, loads of plants in tank
pH: 6.6

Edit: I should add that I do not have any male bettas and she hasn't come into contact with any

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

Once she finishes releasing the rest of the eggs, she should be fine. Feeding daphnia usually helps them to release the rest of the eggs, and will keep her from being egg bound. Daphnia acts like a natural laxative, so it's a great high protein natural food to feed to your betta. She will either release the rest, or they can also be absorbed back into her body. It can sometimes take a little while for all of the eggs to be either released or absorbed.

I would just keep an eye on her, and keep her water super clean.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
Ohio Mark