Female Betta Recovered From Ich Then Made A Bubble Nest?!?!?

It's Not Just a Fish
I am treating my female betta for ich and the spots are now gone. I'm still going to treat her for five more days to be really sure. I'm using a copper treatment. I'm posting because i'm worried about her color. she is a red koi female and her color is fading a little. I think it might just be the stess and parasites, but now I noticed that along her topline her slime coat seems thicker. there is a whitish color to it and I am hoping it's not fungus, I'm not sure she can take any more medicine right now.

Is it normal for fish with ich to have a whitish cloudy thin line along the top of there head? Or is that some other disease?

IHaveADogToo
What is normal is for the ich treatment to make other problems show themselves.

However, faded coloring and a whitish hue is a normal reaction to medication and other treatments. Color normally returns after treatment has finished.

Did you also raise the temperature? Oftentimes people say to treat ich with heat, but you should not be mixing heat and medication.

It's Not Just a Fish
What is normal is for the ich treatment to make other problems show themselves.

However, faded coloring and a whitish hue is a normal reaction to medication and other treatments. Color normally returns after treatment has finished.

Did you also raise the temperature? Oftentimes people say to treat ich with heat, but you should not be mixing heat and medication.
Thank you for the reply,
yes I did raise the temp a little and she is in a four gallon quarantine tank right now. I think I will watch to see if the line spreads to see if it is a disease or just a reaction to stress and meds
is raising the temp and medicating harmful to them? I've read that it makes the meds work faster because of the parasites life cycle.

CanadianFishFan
Coloring loss is most likely from stress. You should try raising the temp BEFORE meds. I did both after raising the temp didnt work and my fish were fine.

IHaveADogToo
is raising the temp and medicating harmful to them? I've read that it makes the meds work faster because of the parasites life cycle.

It *can be* harmful. It isn't always, but it's a risk. The heat doesn't necessarily make the meds work faster. The heat just speeds up the parasite life cycle. It will do that with or without medication.

It's Not Just a Fish
It *can be* harmful. It isn't always, but it's a risk. The heat doesn't necessarily make the meds work faster. The heat just speeds up the parasite life cycle. It will do that with or without medication.
thank you, I'll keep an eye on her for now. I hope I did the right thing.

It's Not Just a Fish
My female is all better now, thank you guys for your help!
I do have a question for you though, I think now that she's feeling better she made a bubble nest!!!?!?!? Can females even do that? Its small and she gets mad at me if I look at it (she puffs at me lol) but I think that it is a nest!!! No male in the tank whatsoever. My last betta in that tank was male but she's never been in with a male.
Do betta eggs float of sink? they might just be eggs but I thought that they sank so they shouldn't be floating

IHaveADogToo
I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Betta eggs sink, but as part of the mating ritual bettas pick up the eggs and put them inside the bubble nest. So although on their own they sink, the bubble nest keeps them afloat.

I've never heard of a female bubble nesting, though. Are you absolutely certain she is a she? If you bought the fish as a juvenile, it may have been too young to properly sex. Young males are sold as females sometimes. Not on purpose, usually by mistake.

Demeter
Females can and sometimes do build nests, but this is rather rare. If it's just a few bubbles here and there it might not even be a nest at all. Can we get pictures of the betta anyways? Always love to see pics of bettas.

It's Not Just a Fish
I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Betta eggs sink, but as part of the mating ritual bettas pick up the eggs and put them inside the bubble nest. So although on their own they sink, the bubble nest keeps them afloat.

I've never heard of a female bubble nesting, though. Are you absolutely certain she is a she? If you bought the fish as a juvenile, it may have been too young to properly sex. Young males are sold as females sometimes. Not on purpose, usually by mistake.
I'm very sure she's a female, but the nest was more like a pile, it sorta stuck out of the water so I thought maybe it wasn't her doing. But I saw her building it so it is a nest of some sort.

It's Not Just a Fish
Females can and sometimes do build nests, but this is rather rare. If it's just a few bubbles here and there it might not even be a nest at all. Can we get pictures of the betta anyways? Always love to see pics of bettas.
The nest has actually dissipated and is gone, but my betta is acting rather odd. she is hiding more than usual and flaring at me more aggressively. still healthy, just moody I guess
I'll try to post pics of her, I love showing off my fish

It's Not Just a Fish
Here are some pics of her. she is a koi <3
(sorry for the bad quality)

DSCF4237.JPG
DSCF4238.JPG
DSCF4245.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF4237.JPG
    DSCF4237.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF4238.JPG
    DSCF4238.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF4245.JPG
    DSCF4245.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 146
IHaveADogToo
She’s gorgeous!

Fashooga
I’m not a Betta fan but this one is really awesome looking Betta you got there.

It's Not Just a Fish
Thank you guys!

It's Not Just a Fish
I'm so glad she made it through the ich ok, thank you for your help and advice!
Her name is Ladybug by the way.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishLeGeNd
Replies
Views
OldeOne
Top Bottom