Female betta looks/acts male

BriMarie123

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I posted a while back about my female halfmoon betta. She is still “changing”. I have bred her, so I know for sure she wasn’t a young male. I’ve never seen a Female like this one. Any info will help:). The first pic is the female, the second is one of her offspring858932F6-3346-4CEE-A4A5-637D657D9ECD.jpeg684AE832-F276-4492-A3EA-1DD974289EC5.png

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wanna say thats a Male from the long fins and visible beard. Generally female betta halfmoons will still have shorter fins

CichlidCody

Reaction score
theres a small chance thats a female looking at the longer fins and his exposed beard as mentioned. Did you check for the egg tube by chance?

OP
B

BriMarie123

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:
I wanna say thats a Male from the long fins and visible beard. Generally female betta halfmoons will still have shorter fins
I have successfully bred her.

OP
B

BriMarie123

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Repolie said:
Wow she looks incredibly similar to a male and if you didn't tell me you've bred her, I would assume so too. I do know that more females are being bred to have longer fins and some females act more like males including building bubble nests. You have a very unique female. :D

Here's an example:
Repolie said:
Wow she looks incredibly similar to a male and if you didn't tell me you've bred her, I would assume so too. I do know that more females are being bred to have longer fins and some females act more like males including building bubble nests. You have a very unique female. :D

Here's an example:
Thankyou. I’m glad I was able to breed her once before all my males became intimidated by her

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm sure "she" is a male. Like Blueberrybetta said noting the beard. It also has broad ventral fins. My male Betta has that same white spot, some have spots that look like egg spots but are not. I'm sure it's male.

1NeonMoon

Reaction score
BriMarie123 said:
So I posted a while back about my female halfmoon betta. She is still “changing”. I have bred her, so I know for sure she wasn’t a young male. I’ve never seen a Female like this one. Any info will help:). The first pic is the female, the second is one of her offspring[ATTACH width="164px" alt="858932F6-3346-4CEE-A4A5-
637D657D9ECD.jpeg"]701972[/ATTACH]684AE832-F276-4492-A3EA-1DD974289EC5.png
Oh MY GOODNESS She And Her Offspring ARE AWESOME!! Lucky You!

New Threads