Female betta in community?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by betta fan 99, Aug 4, 2015.

1. betta fan 99

betta fan 99 Well Known Member Member

I was wondering if I could get a female betta and put it in my 55 gal. Community tank. I am going to get a male betta tomorrow and would like to breed it in the future. Would the female betta be aggressive towards other fish? I see them in community tanks at my LPS and they look like they're fine.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I've heard that females can be just as aggressive as males, so be careful with that. What other fish do you have in there?

3. OP
    OP
    betta fan 99

betta fan 99 Well Known Member Member

3 angels
    4 corydoras
    6 neon tetras
    2 BN plecos

All very peaceful fish with each other. Angels have never caused a problem.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not do them with neons or angels. Besides, neons need a cooler temp than angels and bettas....

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Also why 2 BN plecos... They're pretty conspecific aggressive...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Neons are kind of iffy with a betta, but no angels, imo. Also, those cories would be better off in a group of six or more, just so you know. :) Angelfish are one of the least recommended fish to put with a betta, so it's highly risky. The cories and plecos would most likely be fine (depending on the temperament of your betta), and the neons, like I said, are kind of iffy.

In the end, what I always tell people, it always depends on the betta. :)

7. t

tinks8400 New Member Member

I have heard of females betta not doing great in community tanks, when I purchased my tank it came with a female betta and a few other tetras, I have since added German Blue Rams, bristlenose plec, zebra danios and a dwarf gourami all doing fine together, my female betta tends to jus keep herself to herself, she loves to rest above the filter where is very little current and will seem very swallow to her ( with the filter been directly below her). Just wonder if this may help her be so relaxed, her own little corner? ☺

8. Anders247

Zebra danios will likely nip the bettas fins, and I wouldn't keep bettas with rams.
    Also, danios need cooler water than rams and bettas, so aren't compatible.

9. t

tinks8400 New Member Member

I always keep a close eye on my tank and the zebra's have never acknowledge the betta, I will as always keep an eye on them. When I purchased the Rams I was advised that the zebra's could tolerate a wide range of temps but a lower temp would be ideal, I did chance it with the temperature been higher and they seem to be doing fine

10. Anders247

It's not about their behavior at higher temps, they act normally. They have a shorter lifespan at higher temps. Which imo is cruel.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice