Female Betta In 20g Community

1. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

I have a female betta right now. She has always been fine with the snails in her tank. I really want to put her in a community in my 20g tank.

I was thinking if getting some corys (hopefully pandas)
    and either sissortail rasboras or cherry barbs (open to suggestions on the schooling fish)

I would add the corys first with the female to see how she does then I would add the school

or should I add the female betta last

do you guys think this would work?

TIA

2. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Panda cories, while cute and adorable aren't temperature compatible with bettas. Bettas need 78-82* and Pandas don't like to be in anything higher than 77*. You could do Sterbai or Bronze! Maybe some others.

I forget the high temperature for Cherry barbs ( I really should remember this honestly) but definitely add the betta last. She's the most aggressive fish in the tank

3. fishfanatic15 Member Member

fishlore fish profiles says 72-82* for cherry barbs

BTW - platygurl2015 was my old account - it has since been disabled.

I was using it to find more options for my 20 gallon that currently houses my female without having to move my female to have a community

some people say that cherry barbs nip... would they still be a good option considering she is a female and is still quite fast when she wants to be... some say they don't nip at all.

what would be some other options for a schooling fish. I thought about neons or the sissortail rasboras aswell

4. vin Well Known Member Member

I don't like putting barbs in with anything that remotely has a flowing fin or tail as they can be quite the little nippers. I realize the females are not as long flowing as the males, but still longer than other species. Just my 2 cents.

5. fishfanatic15 Member Member

What schooling fish would you recommend to put with her

6. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Some kind of smaller tetra, like glowlight size. Maybe harlequin rasboras.

7. vin Well Known Member Member

Neons, Rasboras, White Cloud Minnows, Celestial Pearl Danios. You really don't have a lot of room for larger schooling fish in a 20g. Avoid guppies as they can mimic the look of another betta. You could do some platys, but they aren't schooling fish and if not careful with how you stock you can wind up with a lot of babies as they are live bearing fish.

8. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't be too worried about fry with the betta in there.

9. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Cherries are not nippy and are temp compatible
    Neons, WCMM and CPD all need cooler water than bettas

I wouldn't keep any mid dwelling fish with a betta in a 20 gallon

I think sterbai cories would be best

10. FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Sterbai cories or kuhli loaches.

11. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I was thinking to put a school of corys in there with the Betta along with another schooling fish (like the cherry barbs)... if this is not really the best idea then would a non-schooling fish, like platys, work better in the tank. I was afraid of getting them because of their bright colors, but if you don't think that would be an issue then I can consider it as a viable option. The reason I wanted to have a schooling fish with the Betta is that IMHO 1 single female Betta in a 20g looks quite bare... even with some bottom dwellers it still seems like there isn't much activity in the main water column.

Thanks again for the advice everyone

12. Over It Well Known Member Member

I'll just share my experiences with Bettas in community tanks. I had a male Veiltail who lived happily with Neon Tetras for 5 yrs. I also had a Juvenile female Crowntail Betta kill an adult female Platy (twice her size). I also have a male Plakat Betta who does great in a community, but my Platys picked on him and I had to remove him for his own safety. He is now in a tank with male Endlers, Amano Shrimp, and Julii and Sterbai Corydoras. I also had a female Crowntail Betta who was fine in a community tank, but again the Platys picked on her.
    I've had other Bettas that would have been fine in community tanks but I never added them to one. I've also had a couple who couldn't even be kept with snails.

There is no way to know if your Bettta will do well until you try it. However if you do decide to add fish to her tank then you need to take her out, move around all the decor, add the new fish, let them get comfortable and then add her back in. Bettas always have to go in last or they will claim the whole tank as their territory and that can cause a lot of issues.

I think Harlequin Rasboras usually do really well with Bettas and have with mine in the past.

13. Merryn O'Shea Member Member

Why don't you just do a betta sorority?

14. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I've got my female betta with 6 cherry barbs, 2 platys, 3 guppies, and a mosquitofish. She's doing great. Wouldn't recommend guppies for tankmates under normal circumstances, though.
    Cherry barbs should be fine. They can stand their ground. Look into mosquitofish, too. They're like less colorful guppies.

15. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I have never had schooling fish before, I really like the look of having a school swimming around together. I figured that there would be less chances of problems if the other fish were not the same species

16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't keep the betta with other fish, especially what you have chosen.

17. fishfanatic15 Member Member

Looks like we have a lot of mixed opinions on this...

18. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure 20 gallons is big enough tho. But whatever fish you do I would suggest a heavily planted tank. And agree. Rearrange the tank. Sometimes when I just move two things a little bit my fish have to declare territory all over again ! :(

19. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I have TONS of fake plants on order currently to add to the tank. Along with w other little cave things. I would do a betta sorority but I thought that a community tank would be safer

20. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I have read bettas are great with Corys from a lot of sources but I do think it depends on the fish. I have a male crown tail who was in a heavily planted (fake plants) community tank. Even the angel fish tolerated him. Also Platties, Harley Quinn's :') and panda cats. But when my baby mollies got big enough to move out of their 5 gallon tank I moved my betta in and he suddenly started blowing bubbles. I think even though everyone got along well enough without incident he is much happier on his own.

Btw. I am in Phoenix and even though all my tanks have heaters (except the goldfish tank) they are all exactly 80 degrees (including the goldfish tank) all the fish seem to grow accustomed to the temps. May not be optimal but TIP ( this is Phoenix ! )