Female betta full of eggs - not set up for breeding

Jennie2021

Hi there,

I purchased a female betta last week who is tiny but happy and healthy. She’s also ready to lay eggs I think. I have male bettas and one in particular who is all set to look after the eggs.
he’s very territorial and continually scans his tank for intruders. Feisty.
I understand there is a lot to breeding betta fry and I am not set up with a breeding tank.
My question is should I leave her/ them alone and hope she lays or absorbs eggs in her own tank or should I see if they’re compatible? I’m concerned about the female and her eggs more than whether or not the male fertilizes them. I feel sorry for both as they’re both expectant parents.
Your advice is very welcome. I hope this makes sense.

Mhamilton0911

Please don't breed just because she has eggs developing. Breeding is more than just having 2 fish together.

Upvote 0

Salem

Unless you know what you are doing and have the funds, time, and equipment necessary absolutely do not attempt to breed them. There are significantly more risks than benefits. Sure, the eggs will go away but one or both fish could be injured, if there are any underlying illnesses they could spread to the other, the stress of it alone can severely impact either of them. Additionally if the eggs hatch you then have to care for anywhere up to 500 fry. Fry that need to be fed quality live food around the clock. Fry that need a tank to grow in. Fry that will then need their own tanks and filters and heaters.

Your female will be fine, this happens a lot. If you can just move her tank further away from the male. Keeping them close together will just keep her eggbound most of the time which can become a problem.

Upvote 0

Jennie2021

Unless you know what you are doing and have the funds, time, and equipment necessary absolutely do not attempt to breed them. There are significantly more risks than benefits. Sure, the eggs will go away but one or both fish could be injured, if there are any underlying illnesses they could spread to the other, the stress of it alone can severely impact either of them. Additionally if the eggs hatch you then have to care for anywhere up to 500 fry. Fry that need to be fed quality live food around the clock. Fry that need a tank to grow in. Fry that will then need their own tanks and filters and heaters.

Your female will be fine, this happens a lot. If you can just move her tank further away from the male. Keeping them close together will just keep her eggbound most of the time which can become a problem.
I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m concerned that she’s full of eggs and I wonder if there’s anything I can do.

You’re all correct in that the last thing I am prepared for is breeding. And I’d hate for either to be injured. She’s tiny.

I didn’t know she’d be egg- bound if she were close to him. That’s good to know. She came that way. Because she looked pregnant I did research to learn about the way eggs are fertilized. She’s nowhere near a male.

So you’re saying do nothing with her - let her be it will all work itself out?
And my boy who has a bubble nest contstantly - thats ok too?
Please don't breed just because she has eggs developing. Breeding is more than just having 2 fish together.
Yes I do realize this. I wouldn’t want them hurt, nor the fry eaten or to die. I’m asking what I should do since she is egg bound. Will she be ok?
im guessing the male is ok building perpetual bubble nests as well. :)

Upvote 0

Salem

Apologies for coming off so harsh I was running on almost 2 days of no sleep. Yes both fish will be okay. Making bubble nests shouldn't be at all harmful for your boy and the eggs will sort themselves out in time.

Upvote 0

Jennie2021

Apologies for coming off so harsh I was running on almost 2 days of no sleep. Yes both fish will be okay. Making bubble nests shouldn't be at all harmful for your boy and the eggs will sort themselves out in time.
Oh not to worry - I really appreciate your time and I also get where you’re coming from on an animal welfare level. i agree wholeheartedly.
I am so happy to have this forum. Thanks again. J

Upvote 0

Fish4Dayz

If she's by herself, she will just absorb the eggs back into her system and use them as nutrients. The male making a bubble nest is also just a sign that you're doing a good job taking care of him! While a bubble nest can mean that a male betta is ready to mate and guard his eggs, if no female is present, it just means that he's happy and being well cared for! I definitely understand the concern, but they should be fine if you do nothing :) !

Upvote 0

Jennie2021

If she's by herself, she will just absorb the eggs back into her system and use them as nutrients. The male making a bubble nest is also just a sign that you're doing a good job taking care of him! While a bubble nest can mean that a male betta is ready to mate and guard his eggs, if no female is present, it just means that he's happy and being well cared for! I definitely understand the concern, but they should be fine if you do nothing :) !
Oh that is great! Phew. Ok thank you so much. Although not as noticable, the second female I purchased is also carrying eggs. They must have been beside males prior to coming to me. Now I won't worry. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Fish4Dayz

Not a problem! Them holding eggs may be a little uncomfortable, but it shouldn’t pose any health problems. Glad they have a good home!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betta06
  • Question
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
PascalKrypt