Female Betta Friends

Frankie Valenzuela
I have a female Betta & just bought a 10 gallon tank. I'm giving her plenty of attention but while I’m at work I feel she gets lonely. I want to get her some new friends, would love some recommendations on how many. I want to get a snail, few ghost shrimp, African dwarf frog & some fish friends, thinking of ember tetras. Oh & a KuhlI loach! Those are too cool looking. Not overcrowded but just enough for 10 gallon with good planting. Who should I keep with her. Greatly appreciated! I just want to see my baby happy!

Discus-Tang
Welcome to Fishlore & sorry for the late response

ADFs are nippy so I wouldn't recommend them. Kuhlies need larger tanks but maybe 8 ember tetras and some shrimp/snails would be great!

You have a heater & a filter right?

Frankie Valenzuela
No worries, I truely appreciate it ! Are they really? Ok then ADFs are out, as well as the loaches .. how much gallons for a loach? 20-30? Awesome! So 8 ember tetras 3 ghost shrimp & 1-2 snails ok? Yes just got a heater & filter to go along with it. Thank you for your response!

Discus-Tang
Yep that plan sounds good Kuhlies need at least 20 galons & a group of 6, but more is better.

Frankie Valenzuela
Right on, thank you. 20gallons for group of 6 or more, appreciate the info! Few more questions, I have my heater place on the left side of the tank & filter placed on the right. I bought an air pump & stone but I’m not to sure where to place the stone. If placed by the heater will it break the stone & or heater? If placed by the filter will the bubbles mess with the filter somehow? Another question I have is which side should be the “hiding area” , which side should have most plants & which side should I have more of an open space. I’m not to sure if the filter side is too strong of a current?

Iverg1
Air stones are usually to break the water surface since you have the filter on the right I would put it by the left. I don't think the stone will damage your heater it's just bubbles all of your tank should have places to hide

Frankie Valenzuela
Yep that makes sense, ok awesome thank you very much. Will take note of that, going to make as many hiding places as possible.

Frankie Valenzuela
Could I add feeder guppies 1 - 3 in this tank?

Discus-Tang
Could I add feeder guppies 1 - 3 in this tank?
You probably could, though I'd do a few things first:

-Have a backup plan for the guppies - your betta may go after them or they may nip/stress the betta

-quarantine them for longer than usual since they are feeders

Frankie Valenzuela
I have a backup tank if needed. I placed my Betta & her new friends in the tank. She seemed to get along pretty well. Chased around for a bit & ended up doing her own thing, I’m sure there's a much activity I’m unaware about but so far so good. If they are going to stress & nip at her maybe it’s best I don’t?

Frankie Valenzuela
Quarantine them for longer got it. I read that feeder guppies don’t mind living alone, so I thought maybe adding 1 or two feeder guppies so I wouldn’t have to get a schooling fish & fill the tank with another fish or 2

Discus-Tang
Quarantine them for longer got it. I read that feeder guppies don’t mind living alone, so I thought maybe adding 1 or two feeder guppies so I wouldn’t have to get a schooling fish & fill the tank with another fish or 2
They're social, so I'd get two. As for other tankmates, have you looked into shrimp or snails?

Frankie Valenzuela
Ok then I’ll be sure to get 2 if I get some. Yea I got 4 shrimp 8 ember tetras & 1 snail.

Discus-Tang
Ok then I’ll be sure to get 2 if I get some. Yea I got 4 shrimp 8 ember tetras & 1 snail.
Ok then, I'd say your tank is full once you add the guppies maybe a little TOO full actually ...

Frankie Valenzuela
Oh no too full? Well I don’t want that, I want all my little guys happy. Maybe it’s best I leave it as is.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Katie13
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views