Female Betta Fish Large Lump On Side And Trouble Swimming

Adri_R
Hello. I currently have two female betta fish in two separate tanks. One of the female betta (Patience) I believe has been bloated or constipated for the last four days. Rather then her abdomen her sides especially her left side has swelled up. I first I thought she was bloated but I have tried to fast her, use daphnia, use the pea trick and Epsom salt to try to ease the bloating but nothing has worked.

She has also has stopped swimming and now is just laying on the side of my hospital tank. She had a fungal infection at first which I have cured with Pimafix and I have been using Bettafix to cure any other infections. I have started recently using API general cure to see if it will help her. She has pooped a little but is still swollen on her left side more than her right.

I currently have her in a hospital tank doing daily water changes. I have added Epsom salt to the water, (not enough to hurt her) and have been using Bettafix and General Cure. I'm not sure what else to do or if I am using the right things to treat her. I've based my treatment on looking up her symptoms and seeing other forums how to cure her. Anyone has any other way so that Patience can get better?

emmysjj
Pics?

They aren't working

Adri_R
I normally do weekly water changes with a water conditioner. I also have a heater, but no filter. The water parameters currently in the hospital tank are:
NO3=20 ppm
NO2=0ppm
PH=7.0ppm
KH=40ppm
GH=180ppm
I'm considering doing a water change today. Should I?
Here are the photos of the tank again. sorry about that.

emmysjj
What is your conditioner? What is your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Is she pineconing? I would stop with BettaFix. If she's pineconing it might be dropsy

Adri_R
The water conditioner is Aqueon Betta Bowl plus. Nitrate is currently 20ppm. Nitrite is currently 0ppm. I currently do not have the tools to check the ammonia level. She is not pineconing. I thought it was dropsy too.

emmysjj
Can you try to get a side pic? I'm not sure. Let someone else chime in. So sorry for what you are going through.

Adri_R
Thanks for looking into it. Here's a side pick

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 118
emmysjj
Hmm... I'm stuck. Anything else different?

Adri_R
She hasn't been eating for the last 4 days and she just leans on the side of the tank all day. When she tries to swim, she just floats or struggles to do so. I have lowered the water in the hospital tank because she gasps for air at the surface. Her breathing isn't labored for rapid. She just lays on the surface. I'm going to do a water change soon and try to continue with the general cure and Epsom salt bath. The bath has helped her bloating a little but not much.

emmysjj
Maybe a swim bladder issue? That would be my best guess.

TexasDomer
In an unfiltered tank, ammonia can be a big problem. You should really be doing daily water changes to protect her from ammonia (which you're doing now that she's sick, but I'm assuming you weren't doing them before). Ammonia poisoning can cause all kinds of issues, including difficulty breathing. I would strongly recommend getting a filter for both tanks. Sponge filters are great cheap options, and they can be run off the same air pump.

I would be doing epsom salt baths/dips, rather than adding salt to the tank.

Adri_R
My tanks are 2 gallons and 2.5 gallons. I currently can not get a bigger tank. Any recommendation for filters for these tank sizes?

TexasDomer
I don't think anyone said you needed bigger tanks. Sponge filters would be great for these tanks.

Adri_R
Sorry about that. I read that wrong.ead:
Any suggestions for sponge filters?

TexasDomer
There aren't particular brands, really. These are the ones I have:

And you can use this pump to run both of them (10 gal size is fine):

And you can use this splitter (2-way for 2 sponge filters, one in each tank, or a 4 way for 4 sponge filters, 2 in each tank):

With a check valve (a piece to prevent water from draining out of the tank in case of power failure):

Adri_R
Any suggestion to help the swelling? I feel bad not feeding my fish for the last 4 days.

TexasDomer
Did you try the epsom salt baths?

Adri_R
Since the last time I posted, she has gotten better but is still swollen on the sides but not as much. I am still using General Cure because it has been helping in treating her. After using it, she became more active and can move on her own.

She still has trouble but not as much. She is eating again. I have been feeding her daphnia to help with the swelling and it has worked. I feed her three days back to back and then she became a little lethargic again so I am fasting her and did an Epsom salt bath. She still is in her hospital tank.

I have tried the Epsom salt bath today and I am waiting to see the results. She seems to be slowly getting better but I am keeping a close eye on her.

TexasDomer
Keep doing the salt baths. A single bath likely won't do much on its own, but daily baths might help. Glad she seems to be doing better!

Adri_R
Update: My betta fish seemed to have returned to her previous state. She just floats near the surface and does not move much. Now she is losing color on her fins (They aren't stringy or anything) and her tail fins are now drooping downward. I did an Epsom salt bath today and I am still using General Cure as directed on the box. I am still fasting her as she is still swollen but not as much.

She was acting weird earlier by swimming down to the bottom of the tank and doing a flip upside down before rushing back up to the surface. I am not sure what to do about that.

Any suggestion on the fin issues?

TexasDomer
They could be losing color from these same issues we're already dealing with.

Is she eating at all? You could try fasting for a few days and then feeding a blanched, deshelled pea to see if it helps with her swim bladder (which may be responsible for the flipping).

Adri_R
She ate some daphnia today. I tried to give her a pea but she was not interested. I checked my water parameter and they are fine. My ammonia level was a little up but I have corrected that and they are back to normal level. I am going to fast her tomorrow.

She has been sinking to the bottom of the tank as of today but she can make it to the top. I am a little worried about the sinking. I placed a leaf hammock inside the tank and have lowered the water level also.

I have stopped General Cure and it seems to be not helping anymore. The swelling is still there and she hasn't pooped in three days

TexasDomer
Well I wouldn't eat a pea if I was offered daphnia either haha. I would fast her for a few days - it won't hurt her, and it may give us a better idea of what's going on, based on what size she is after. After 3-4 days, feed her a pea.

Adri_R
Update: My betta fish is doing way better. The Swelling has gone significantly since the last time. She almost moving like she used to. I am going to keep fasting her for 3 days and then feeding her a pea. It seems to have helped. She still is a little swollen but she is getting better. Let's hope I do not jinx it like last time. Thank you, everyone, who has helped. I'll keep you updated once she is completely better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Cherie G
Top Bottom