Female Betta Eggs

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a young female in a sorority that seems to be dropping eggs, but I thought they only drop eggs when a male is around. She looked totally normal yesterday, no visible eggs, and is still acting normally today. Do you all think these are eggs or something more serious, like an illness or disease? If they are eggs, am I okay just leaving her alone and letting her drop them or reabsorb them? Does she need to be taken out of the tank for a while? Thanks in advance!

QAQEF_2tr4PU6HXgl4cQ_XBhvN-tXOIrK0WDYaEdbY5IbKo1JfWSm8TPbXWHE3rr2TbUPImcTPvmLc7w6PL=w911-h639-no.jpg

iErf9ji_bGKzlWqFcV6x79T5OZU88WxQ1R1hUnwrf8LR9IFaCt7emK5-5YHLTrpsiLpa2sndfUhuc52gCbu=w887-h639-no.jpg

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She shouldn't be dropping eggs like this and this isn't normal. If there is no male around, normally she will reabsorb the eggs. Could this be a species of mite? I highly doubt these are eggs.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettas don’t drop eggs they release fry into bubble nest that the male builds if there’s is not a bubble nest then she is probably bloated this should help if you have breeding questions

sleow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you sure she's dropping them? She might be reabsorbing them.
No I'm not quite sure what she's doing at all! I have several other females and have never seen them do this before. I just wondered if they were eggs because they are right at her egg spot.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The male will court the female, and wrap himself around her.
She then drops the eggs one by one, and the male picks them up and blows them into the nest.

They then hatch after 24-48 hours.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I'm not real familiar, none of my females expelled eggs so I don't know what it looks like.
I actually didn't even see the 'eggs' in the first picture until you mentioned it.

Perhaps someone with experience can comment. It almost looks like eggs still in the in sac? Again, not sure what it looks like when bettas expel eggs.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, I'm not real familiar, none of my females expelled eggs so I don't know what it looks like.
I actually didn't even see the 'eggs' in the first picture until you mentioned it.

Perhaps someone with experience can comment. It almost looks like eggs still in the in sac? Again, not sure what it looks like when bettas expel eggs.
main-qimg-2a207042e93d04e6e5fa2013d3523930-c.jpg
They kinda do... hmmm :/

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom