Female Betta Eggs

sleow

I have a young female in a sorority that seems to be dropping eggs, but I thought they only drop eggs when a male is around. She looked totally normal yesterday, no visible eggs, and is still acting normally today. Do you all think these are eggs or something more serious, like an illness or disease? If they are eggs, am I okay just leaving her alone and letting her drop them or reabsorb them? Does she need to be taken out of the tank for a while? Thanks in advance!

DutchAquarium

She shouldn't be dropping eggs like this and this isn't normal. If there is no male around, normally she will reabsorb the eggs. Could this be a species of mite? I highly doubt these are eggs.

Iverg1

Bettas don’t drop eggs they release fry into bubble nest that the male builds if there’s is not a bubble nest then she is probably bloated this should help if you have breeding questions

lilabug4545

Are you sure she's dropping them? She might be reabsorbing them.

sleow

lilabug4545 said:
Are you sure she's dropping them? She might be reabsorbing them.
No I'm not quite sure what she's doing at all! I have several other females and have never seen them do this before. I just wondered if they were eggs because they are right at her egg spot.

Lucy

Fanatic

The male will court the female, and wrap himself around her.
She then drops the eggs one by one, and the male picks them up and blows them into the nest.

They then hatch after 24-48 hours.

Iverg1

Oh thank you for clarifying

CanadianFishFan

Lucy said:
I'm sorry, this is not true. Bettas are not live bearers.
Exactly, if they don't know they shouldn't say anything as it makes it more confusing! I was so confused on that. They look big for eggs though..

Lucy

Yeah, I'm not real familiar, none of my females expelled eggs so I don't know what it looks like.
I actually didn't even see the 'eggs' in the first picture until you mentioned it.

Perhaps someone with experience can comment. It almost looks like eggs still in the in sac? Again, not sure what it looks like when bettas expel eggs.

CanadianFishFan

Lucy said:
Yeah, I'm not real familiar, none of my females expelled eggs so I don't know what it looks like.
I actually didn't even see the 'eggs' in the first picture until you mentioned it.

Perhaps someone with experience can comment. It almost looks like eggs still in the in sac? Again, not sure what it looks like when bettas expel eggs.
They kinda do... hmmm :/

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom