Female Betta Egg Bound? Advice

Anna.mal

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've had this girl for few months now. Shortly after I got her, her adomonen began to bloat or swell. (See pictures of her now.) I tried to fast her, I have on and off for the last few months hoping it would help. For up to a week at times. I've housed her beside my male betta in hopes she would drop eggs. Which she did a one point. But not enough maybe? I've tried aquarium salt dips. Feeding her a pea and better quality foods. I change the water every two days currently, but no improvement. She is housed with some tetras, which show no symptoms of anything. So now I'm thinking it's a tumor or some other internal problem I can't help her with. She is still active and full of personality. She is eating normally. My water readings are all acceptable. Any ideas? Anything else I should try?

20180501_123531.jpg
20180501_123606.jpg
20180501_123649.jpg
20180501_123631.jpg

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a problem with this too.
I have a pregnant female who has dropped about half of her eggs but will not drop the rest.

She knows I have male bettas. They've been in the same tanks and they can smell each other.

I don't think she will drop those eggs until I put her in with a male. She is desperate to breed and she only dropped half of them because it was killing her.

I'm going to set them up with a honeymoon suite today.

I know it could go either way for her, but she's suffering now so I'm not sure what else to do that would not be invasive.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine is full too I thought about getting a male but I don’t know what to do with the fry, so I guess mine will just have to suffer.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that the females will eventually drop the eggs or absorb them, which is what's happening now.

I had 3 of 7 turn pregnant, and two have already recovered

You really just have to wait.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a problem with this too.
I have a pregnant female who has dropped about half of her eggs but will not drop the rest.

She knows I have male bettas. They've been in the same tanks and they can smell each other.

I don't think she will drop those eggs until I put her in with a male. She is desperate to breed and she only dropped half of them because it was killing her.

I'm going to set them up with a honeymoon suite today.

I know it could go either way for her, but she's suffering now so I'm not sure what else to do that would not be invasive.
Thats a issue. You cant have them together or the female will do that. If they weren't together that wouldnt happen.

to me this looks like a possible fluid built up.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know about fish but pregnant women always retain water.

David Sullivan

Reaction score
Hello

You might try this:- make or obtain a divided tank, use metal window screen to make the divider, make the divider a it tight fit.
Place a male on one side and the female on the other side, so the female can smell or sense the males pressence.
She may at this point drop her eggs.
This is only a 50/50 chance this will happen,
But it is at least some hope.

I hope this info will serve you with this problem.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I did this myself, but I did not have a divided tank.

I just used a little breeder cage for the male and put it in the tank with the female and she dropped her eggs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom