Female Betta Dropped Eggs Before Being Bred

Z4D

Reaction score
I had been conditioning my female HM betta for breeding. I placed her in the breeding tank (with a divider) to introduce to my male betta for approximately 24hrs before releasing her. She indicated stripes and everything within 2-3hrs. I have been letting them see one another for 3-5hrs a day for about a week. They've been fed really well and they have successfully paired before, however, the first time the father ate all his eggs. The issue is within those 2-3hrs she released some of her eggs so I quickly released her into the breeding tank and took out the unfertilized eggs to prevent rotting. Now the female seems like she doesn't wanna breed, it's been 8-10hrs should I wait a bit longer? She's currently staying in the corner of the tank away from the nest but it doesn't seem like she released anymore eggs as she seems super eggy still. The male is constantly flaring while making a nest. Thank you for any advice!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
@Demeter ?
Personally I would separate and try again tomorrow if it has been that long and she still isn't feeling like it, but I don't have experience with early dropping of eggs, I'm not sure what that indicates.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you may be allowing them to flirt too often. She was probably ready to go right away but the teasing resulted in her dropping eggs too soon. Generally you introduce the female for a day or two, then release her into the tank if both seem interested.

I agree, separate for now and put her back in tomorrow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom