Female betta built massive bubble nest overnight?

betta06
my new betta Annebeth had ick when I bought her and recently recovered from it. she is still in her quarantine tub though and it is beside my boys 10 gallon she never noticed them before but since yesterday they have been flaring at each other like crazy! (don't worry I will block them) and this morning she has a massive bubble nest... she has a egg spot but is still young so I guess there is a chance she is male.

I will try to get some pictures of her to confirm she is female and I really hope she is cause her tank is divided with another female.

thanks!

GuppyOverlord11
Hmm, I'm no betta expert, but I've done my research, and I don't think females build bubble nests. A picture of her/him might help.

betta06
here is the bubble nest. it is starting to fall apart now but still is definitely still a bubble nest

I will get a picture of him/her asap but my phone can't focus on stuff like that so I will have to use my parents
GuppyOverlord11 said:
Hmm, I'm no betta expert, but I've done my research, and I don't think females build bubble nests. A picture of her/him might help.
same as me!

GuppyOverlord11
Sorry for the confusion, can I get a pic of your betta?

betta06
GuppyOverlord11 said:
Sorry for the confusion, can I get a pic of your betta?
yes I will get a picture of him/her asap but my phone can't focus on stuff like that so I will have to use my parents phone....

jkkgron2
It’s uncommon, but sometimes female bettas do make bubble nests. A picture would help to make sure, but you may just have a female betta who makes bubble nests.

betta06
Got some pictures! the last one is when I first brought him/her home

Rose of Sharon
What a beautiful betta!!!
betta06 said:
here is the bubble nest. it is starting to fall apart now but still is definitely still a bubble nest

I will get a picture of him/her asap but my phone can't focus on stuff like that so I will have to use my parents

same as me!
I had a female that would make bubbles like these during the night. I thought that maybe it was her way of snoring (lol)....

Demeter
That is a male plakat. The “wild” color and fin type, much like the strains still used to fight today.

This is my old male of similar type/color. His fins are fuller due to him carrying double tail HMPK genes from his dad. He got is natural coloring from his mom who was the female version of your male.

BF5E9E32-C1F1-4104-B0E9-E58ED8425600.jpeg

betta06
okay so it sounds like she is actually a boy? if he is then he probable can't live in the divided tank I have as it has a girl on the other side.... I am getting a 5 gallon but was supposed to be the upgrade my male crown tail who is still in a 3 gallon.

The_fishy
Agree, definitely a plakat male. You can tell by the beefier body shape and head dip. Females have a body that fits into a v shape, males are a bit more rectangular.

betta06
The_fishy said:
Agree, definitely a plakat male. You can tell by the beefier body shape and head dip. Females have a body that fits into a v shape.
okay thanks for the help! he definitely needs a new name then lol. I will try to see what I can do for the tank. do you think it is worth trying him in the divided one with a female?

The_fishy
betta06 said:
okay thanks for the help! he definitely needs a new name then lol. I will try to see what I can do for the tank. do you think it is worth trying him in the divided one with a female?
It up to whether you want to breed him. Otherwise, I would avoid the divided one so that hormones in the water don’t make the female get too eggy. If you are worried about the flaring with where he is now, you can put tons of plants along the wall that meets or wedge a sheet of board, plastic, etc between them.

betta06
The_fishy said:
It up to whether you want to breed him. Otherwise, I would avoid the divided one so that hormones in the water don’t make the female get too eggy. If you are worried about the flaring with where he is now, you can put tons of plants along the wall that meets or wedge a sheet of board, plastic, etc between them.
I night breed him.... whether I do or not though I am getting a new female wild type (I will double check to make sure it is female though lol) I really like his personality though and think he would make a great dad!

I also named him Finnick. at first I was going to do Peeta but finnick was perfect as he got ick on his fins lol.

I love his personality so much though! he flares at everything and his colours are incredible! (he is actually getting more blue on his fins)

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom