female betta behaviour info

1. can haz catfishies? Member Member

ok i am looking at getting a famale betta in the next week or so in the hopes of maybe trying breeding a few, i have a male already and understand about them living in separate tanks, the introduction and conditioning etc, but what i'm not finding much info on is the female, their temperament, do they fight or get aggressive/territorial like the males? are they good in community tanks (obviously not with a male in there) i would just like to know a bit more about the famles before i get one so i can decide which tank she is gonna live in.
    cheers

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Females can be just as aggressive, if not MORE aggressive, than the males. However, just like the males, it depends entirely on the fish.

I have had a sorority of seven to nine females work in a 46gal bowfront with male guppies and a baby featherfin catfish. I also had five females happily coexisting in my 55gal mixed community. I've found that a single female betta can be okay in a large community as well, but again, it depends on the female.

3. can haz catfishies? Member Member

ok well with that in mid i guess i will treat her like the males and watch how she is behaving in the shop with other tank mates to gauge her temperament, when i get one she is either going in a community 200l tank or a 50L with a couple adf's and a couple celestial danios

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I have a female right now in my 10gal that I SWORE was a male when I first got her. She was sooooooo aggressive and flaring at the males next to her.