Female Betta And Shrimp

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, what is the best type of shrimp to keep with a female betta. She is quite docile, and only nips fish when they nip her, and occasionally chases them. I have a heater etc. I was thinking amano but any shrimp that wont overpopulate my tank is great. My tank is heavily planted

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ypu can test shrimp compatability with ghost shrimp or, if you have them, cull cherry shrimp from a different set up. If they go unmolested, then you can probably stock with the shrimp of your choice.

It's never a good idea to put expensive stock that may get eaten in with a fish until you know how they're going to react.

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the price, I just don't want anything to do die. From my description do you think the shrimp will die? :0 Thanks

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can pretty much have the shrimp of your choice with a betta, as long as the betta tolerates it. I have had both ghosts and cherry shrimp with mine.

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
My tank is around 8.5 gallons. I have also heard that ghost shrimp shred the fins, and that necordinia are the best any thoughs?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cherries are tasties treats for many bettas if they can catch them. Fins someone who has a lesser grade of cherry shrimp (browns are best) and see how it goes. I tossed in 5 juvenile cherries into my planted 10gal with my boy and surprisingly all are still alive, plus many of their babies.

As for other types, i’ve yet to have a problem with amano shrimp but never tried with ghosts. Some bettas will go after shrimp, some won’t.

If the tank is heavily planted then you shouldn’t have too much a problem keeping a colony of neos. Just cover the intake so shrimplets don’t get sucked up.

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but my only worry is that the colony if neos will get too big and overload the aquarium. Also I dont have another tank so what would I do with all the shrimplets

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Potato head said:
Thanks, but my only worry is that the colony if neos will get too big and overload the aquarium. Also I dont have another tank so what would I do with all the shrimplets
Shrimp have a very little bioload, I expect that the betta would keep the population under control

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
Milliemae124 said:
Shrimp have a very little bioload, I expect that the betta would keep the population under control
Thx for the suggestion, but I really don't want anything killed

Any other suggestions

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on the snail species and the betta itself, the snails may become snacks. I know that pond, bladder, ramshorn, and MTS as well as larger snail antenas will likely be nibbled/slurped out of their shell. So far for me nerites only get flared at, not eaten.

It's a fish-eat-fish world so placing potential prey items with a predatory fish will likely result in some casualties. I've had a betta go after larger whisker shrimp (about at large as adult amanos) and kill them, so there is always the possibility of inverts being offed by a naughty betta. Honestly a betta will only benefit from a healthy colony of edible shrimp and snails, ends up being a varied diet and a healthy, robust betta.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an amano with my betta. The betta is scared of the shrimp and stays away from him. In fairness to the betta the shrimp is pretty hard core and will chase the betta if he accidently swims too close.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom