Female Betta 10 gallon community tank?

RiverFox
HI experienced and wise fish people! I hope you can answer my question as I don't know much about fish. I have a female betta in a 10 gallon tank that is filled halfway way with a few golden pothos plant and one bamboo stalk. I have had her for about a year and it wasn't until about a month ago that I started to do some serious research about her tank requirements. I found that she needs a heater and a filter. She was always very active, especially during feeding time when she darts around the tank. I am going to order a heater and filter, and some better quality food. I also started to do research on community tanks where I found answers from having 4 mollys with a betta to having 7 guppies with my betta. At this point I don't know what to believe. Could you guys tell me what I could put with her in my 10 gallon tank?

Advertisement
kansas
aqadvisor is good for figuring out what you can put in your tank.

I'm new at keeping fish, but from what I've read it looks like your tank wouldn't hold even one molly.

Demeter
A 10gal is nearly considered a nano tank so community tank mates are very limited. I'd not do any mollies in such a small tank nor guppies. Livebearers are fairly messy for their size and they poo a ton. Plus I have had a female betta go after male guppies and tear their entire tail off.

Seeing as you are just now getting a filter and heater for the betta, you may want to read up on the Nitrogen cycle and make sure the tank is indeed cycled before adding any more fish.

You are better off trying nano species like rasboras, snails, and/or shrimp. Keep in mind any betta can behave aggressively so don't be terribly surprised if the betta suddenly becomes murderous when introduced to new fish.

Also, fill that 10gal up! I will never understand the logic behind have a partially filled tank (unless there is no cover to prevent jumping). The more water you have the more diluted fish waste is, which ultimately mean the better the water condition.

As a side note, I have a planted 10gal with a male betta, 6 java loaches, cherry shrimp and snails. All get on quite well with shrimp casualties now and then due to the betta's appetite.

RiverFox
Do you have any specific rasp ora species that you would recommend, also, could I get neon tetras?

Demeter
I think neons have a different temperature requirement. Bettas like it close to 80F, neons like it mid 70's. Cardinal tetras would be more temperature compatable but both neons and cardinals get larger than dwarf rasbora species so I don't think it would be fair to the fish to keep them in a little 10gal.

Chili, harliquim, least and several other species of rasbora should be alright. I keep a dozen least rasboras in a 36gal with a betta, shrimp, snails and albino BN plecos. The least rasboras I have might be an inch long but they look more like 3/4in.

RiverFox
I was doing some research on rasboras and I'll probably go with some least rasboras or whatever rasboras my local fish store has available. I also came across having three African dwarf frogs with a betta in a ten gallon tank. Would you recommend it? Thanks for all your advice so far.

Demeter
I’ve never had ADF and I never will unless it is a species only tank. The frogs are fairly slow and would likely need to be hand fed all the time as the betta will steal their food, as bettas do. I’ve heard of the frogs latching onto a male bettas long fins, thinking they were food. I also wouldn’t be surprised to hear a betta killing the frogs.

I would consider the combination in a tank with a larger floor area, a larger tank will always result in better compatibility as tank mates can get away from each other if they want to.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
gjshaw29
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies