Female Betas

kisatsky

Reaction score
I had purchase a male and a female with hopes that they would live in peace in their five gallon tank. Not!
So I put the female in my large tank and with it came allot of worry. I have Yellow Labs and Tiger Barbs and I was very concern about her welfare. Much to my surprise she is doing well. Then I guess I pushed the bar and I bought another female and added her to the large tank. No other fish are bothering them but they are doing a fin nip job on each other. I always knew you could not keep males together but females too? Will they get over them selves or do I have a real problem?

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re: Felmale Betas

how big is your tank? bettas are territorial so if not given enough space, females may also become aggressive to each other. tiger barbs are also fin nippers they may also cause trouble for the bettas, at least keep 6 of them in one tank.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: Felmale Betas

I am sorry but female Bettas can not be kept together. We have had a few instances on this forum of female Bettas who killed each other or tried to. The fin nipping will not stop...it will probably in fact get much worse. You definitely need to separate them.

None of the other fish in the tank are compatible with Bettas either. They are aggressive and likely to nip the Bettas' fins or bully them, which is a recipe for disaster with Bettas. You really should not leave them in that tank. Sorry.

What I would recommend doing is setting up a 10 gal with a divider. Then you can put your female Bettas one on each side. You could probably also get a few Otos to go with them, if you want.

OP
K

kisatsky

Reaction score
Since my last message I have placed my old female Betta back in the 20 gallon tank and she is back to her old self and doing well swimming with five Tiger Barbs and two Yellow Labs. The Labs ignore her totally. She swims right up to them and they just ignore her.
I went and purchased four more female Betta's and they are in my five gallon tank and they also are doing well. They all were a little stand off-ish at first but after a few minutes that stopped and now they do their own thing. No fin nipping or chasing.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
4 female bettas in a 5 gallon tank!!!!!!! u r seriously overstocked!!!!!!!! where's the male betta?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kisatsky said:
Since my last message I have placed my old female Betta back in the 20 gallon tank and she is back to her old self and doing well swimming with five Tiger Barbs and two Yellow Labs. The Labs ignore her totally. She swims right up to them and they just ignore her.
I went and purchased four more female Betta's and they are in my five gallon tank and they also are doing well. They all were a little stand off-ish at first but after a few minutes that stopped and now they do their own thing. No fin nipping or chasing.
Unless these 4 have been together since fryhood (is that a word ???), watch those 4 closely & be ready with a backup plan and some treatment for fin damage. At the advice of the 'expert' at petco we tried 4 females in a 10 gallon tank and it looked ok the 1st day or 2, but then one of them started getting aggressive and it started a chain reaction we couldn't stop. Had to return 3 of them and nurse the 4th back to health. Neville's right.. 4 females should equal 8 gallons minimum at 2" each plus a 10 gallon might give them a better chance to establish their own territories without as much fighting.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
I tried to keep 5 females together in a 10 gallon tank. They got along nicely... for 5 days... then they started trying to kill each other!!  One female had almost no tail left and the others were in bad shape too. I had to separate them quickly or some of them would have died for sure! I don't understand why you bought 4 more females after you saw that they obviously can't get along. I GUARANTEE you that sooner or later your females will start dying one by one as they start killing each other. It isn't fair to them to keep them together and let this happen. Also, a 5 gallon tank is MUCH too small for that many fish even if they did get along. The stress of being so overcrowded is going to make them angry and they will start killing to reduce the population. The Betta in the tank with Tiger Barbs is not safe either. Tiger Barbs are very aggressive fish and you will find her dead one of these days. Please take her out of there! If I understand correctly you now have 6 females and one male Betta. They ALL need to be separate from each other. You could either return some of the fish if you can't afford more tanks or buy 3 ten gallon tanks and put dividers in them. That's what I did. I have one female on each side. They can see each other but can't hurt each other. The male can be in the 5 gallon alone.  If you really want other fish to be with them you could put 2 Otos in each tank. They are gentle fish and will clean algae.  In a 5 gallon tank (or section of tank) you really can't have too many other fish and most types of fish are NOT compatible with Bettas, male or female. Mine are alone in their sections and I find it easier to care for them and keep them healthier this way.
Please separate all of them before there are deaths. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that female Bettas can be kept together.  Sooner or later it ends in disaster.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, u see, that's what i'm talking about, I mean a 5 gallon tank is just enough for 1 betta only, 4 bettas!!!!!!! come on............

New Threads