29 Gallon Tank Female Beta In Community Tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btull3911

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard mixed opinions about these guys in community tanks. I gave guppy’s dwarf gourami, neon tetras Otos and panda corries. Any thoughts.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With the fish you have temperature difference would be on top of the list why not. Then the gourami would be the next issue. So its a no in my opinion. I'm all for a betta in a community tank if stocked accordingly.
Agree with this... way to many issues and incompatiblities with a betta in this stock.

GrayRas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have had success with female bettas in my community tanks. Tho I do agree with the ofher members statements already posted. That being said, every fish has their own personality. You could acclimate it, release, and try and see what happens if there is any initial aggression. I definitely would say no to a male, but a female might be worth a try. All depends on what risk you’re willing to take. Could go fine and work out, one fish could potentially suffer before you’re able to net catch and extract the betta, or things could appear fine then you go to bed and wake up to multiple casualties. Are you willing to chance it? Because with bettas in community tanks that’s really what you’re living with option wise. Things could be fine then few weeks later aggression could suddenly onset

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I honestly find it a bit humorous people are more willing to try female bettas than males. IME my females have been so much more aggressive than the males. Out of the males I’ve had there’s several I think would have potentionally been good communities bettas, but my females? No, they’d kill everything in a night.

I know it’s based on personal experiences, but I feel like sometimes people get the wrong idea about females. They can be just as bad as the males or worse and the males can be the sweetest things.

Edit:
Here’s a video of one of my females, I don’t think that’s community safe lol-

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aggression issues I hear more of it from people with small tanks so to me its more tank size vs male or female. I have both together in a 75 gallon tank.
Disclaimer. Please don't try this.

LeBreevee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It depends on the temperment of the female betta, also, make sure its a female, I had a misgendered male in my community tank for a bit. He acted fine with the cories in my tank, but he tended to over eat and got aggresive over food. Now that he is in his own tank he seems to be more comofortable.

Some male bettas can even live in community tanks, but I will warn you, if it does not have the right temperament, male or female, you might find your tetras have been made into a snack just to spite you. (Personal expirience.)

Or on the flip side, guppies are known to be fin nippers, and since both dwell around the surface of the tank, you would do best to keep an eye on it, to be sure it does not lose its fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom