Female Balloon Molly Help

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Mosko, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mosko

MoskoNew MemberMember

I have a 40 Gallon Freshwater tank.
    2 Tetras
    5 Guppies (2 Males, 3 Females)
    3 Plattys (1 Male, 2 Females)
    2 Cory Catfish
    1 Otocinclus.
    My levels are all good.
    I just added 3 New Balloon Mollies to my tank.1 Male 2 Females. I noticed right after I released them in the tank, (Of course, after I left the bag floating for around 20 minutes). 1 of my male Guppies - who I have noticed a little aggression in, began attacking the female Mollies. Seems like the Balloon mollies are not fast swimmers at all, so they couldn't fend for themselves. I noticed both of them half dead that same night. Next morning they were completely dead. Did anyone have a similar experience like this in the past? Is it because the Balloon mollies cant defend themselves vs Aggression because they are slow swimmers? Is it possible that they can die the same day I added them to the tank, just because of aggression?

2. AugustV

AugustVValued MemberMember

I have only guppies and know a lot about them. I can tell you that I have never seen a guppy male attack anything. I'm really perplexed at this. Here are my two guesses at what happened. First, he may have been trying to mate with them and male guppies can be very aggressive at trying to mate. They don't really attack, but they can be relentless and won't give the females a break sometimes. The other thing I can think of is that your mollies were already very stressed due to transport and the stress of the male guppy chasing them was just too much. Now, I am new to the hobby. But I have done over 50 hours of research and videos on these guys and agression where they just want to kill another fish is extremely rare. I'm so sorry for the loss of your new fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Mosko

MoskoNew MemberMember

Thanks, I guess your right. The male guppy was trying to Mate with the balloon molly.