Female Balloon Belly Molly - Isolating Herself Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by lucy.hotdog, Mar 30, 2019.

1. lucy.hotdog

lucy.hotdogNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi everyone,

Just over a month ago my black BB Molly had fry and I've noticed that shes been isolating herself since.
    I would find her hiding among the plants, but she would come out at feeding time and join in on the frenzy... but this last week or so she isn't interested in coming out of her hiding spot.

I don't know if this has to do with her having fry? But she seems to be getting worse. She's just always in the plants at the top of the tank.

To confirm my set up, I have a 130L cycled tank, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrate were my readings from yesterday. I have lots of bubbles running on one side of the tank and heaps of plants my temp is at 26c. She seems to just be hanging around the long grass constantly.

All my other fish in the tank are fine, business as usual. I'm not seeing any signs of disease like ich or fin rot etc but she is looking like shes getting skinny. I drop food by her where ever shes hiding but she doesn't show much interest in it so I'm getting really concerned.

Has anyone else experienced this with mollys?

2. Nyda

NydaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Molly I have not had mollies ever, so this may not help but when my Fish gets very very bloated looking and swim at the top of the tank or tang out there I have noticed that it’s swimmers bladder and please check it out really long and hard before excepting my advice, because like I said I’ve never had Molly is just my goldfish to get swimmers bladder and Epsom salts has helped every time I have attached a thread from Google explaining it but again it is for goldfish please see if Molly‘s can be treated the same way I hope I helped thank you and the site is wonderful don’t you think?

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    lucy.hotdog

lucy.hotdogNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've had a fish with swim bladder before, this seemed different... she got really skinny in the last day or 2. Unfortunately when I woke up this morning she passed away

All my other fish in that tank seem fine... So I guess I'll never really know what happened to her! I'm going to keep an eye on the rest of them anyway, just in case any others go down hill.

And yeah, this is my go to site for any advise. I feel like all the advice is super reliable!

4. BalloonMollies

BalloonMolliesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sometimes mollies will die after having fry, even if it is months after. She was probably unable to recover after she gave birth. It tends to happen a lot more with balloon mollies sadly. I'm sorry you lost her. : (