Female Apistogramma Trifasciata Swimming Tilted & Pop Eye

Alestraia

HI guys,

Today I noticed my female Apistogramma Trifasciata was swimming tilted. At first it was just a slight tilt and she was looking rather lethargic. I caught her and put her in a breeding box as I don't have an available hospital tank. Within the next few hours her eyes started to pop and now shes floating about almost sideways so I dosed the tank with Melafix

After searching around the internet I decided to give her an epson salt bath (1 tbs to 1 gal for 30 mins). After that she seemed to get even weaker so I dosed the tank with some epson salt (3 1/2 tbs to 130l / 35 gal).

She still tries to go for the food and I fed her some bbs so she could at least snap at some but I'm at a complete loss right now and I'm afraid she won't make it through the night. She still swims but tilts on her right side.

What else can I do? LFS is closed atm so I can't get prazI or anything. The male is 100% fine and so are the rest of my fish including the bristlenose and spiney eel I have in there. No one bullies her except for the male occasionally but she was fine yesterday. I just did a 50% water change today, I'm using peat moss to keep the PH down, could the water change be the issue?

PH: 6.8
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0

DutchAquarium

Sounds like a bacterial infection of the swim bladder. That would also make sense for the pop eye then also since this is a secondary infection often showing up after a infection of the swim bladder. I also always avoid salt with my apistos, like you said, they don't cope well in it. I would also add garlic to the food to boost her immune system. I highly recommend maracyn 2 which is very effective.

Alestraia

DutchAquarium said:
Sounds like a bacterial infection of the swim bladder. That would also make sense for the pop eye then also since this is a secondary infection often showing up after a infection of the swim bladder. I also always avoid salt with my apistos, like you said, they don't cope well in it. I would also add garlic to the food to boost her immune system. I highly recommend maracyn 2 which is very effective.
It wasn't salt, its epson salt (manganese sulphate). I'll try maracyn 2 if she survives the night but it doesn't look good atm. Shes completely sideways.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom