Female Apisto Keeps Eating Fry

Jefferys420

HI guys I've been trying to breed my apisto for the past year so far I haven't had any problems in getting her to lay but the thing is she keeps eating her fry just before the free swimming stage and I just can't understand why I've taken the dither fish out I've rearranged the rocks and dw but still eats them she's raised 1 batch sucssefully with the male in the tank... The tank is a 2ft with just the pair of apistos a bit of floating plants 3 caves and lots of ferns
20180817_153247.jpg
20180817_153046.jpg

Ohio Mark

Watching with interest --- new to apistos -- but hooked already. Beautiful fish, by the way.

DioAquatics

I too and trying to breed apistos, same species you have but the fire red color morph. Some pairs just take a few tries before getting it right. Either that, or something is spooking the female and she feels like her fry are going to be predated on so she eats them first. Are they in a high traffic area in your house?

Jefferys420

Watching with interest --- new to apistos -- but hooked already. Beautiful fish, by the way.
Absolutely awesome fish. Was the same for me after getting my first pair I just wanted more but they so hard to find by me sadly ..... Thank you

Jefferys420

I too and trying to breed apistos, same species you have but the fire red color morph. Some pairs just take a few tries before getting it right. Either that, or something is spooking the female and she feels like her fry are going to be predated on so she eats them first. Are they in a high traffic area in your house?
I want to get a few more different species to breed as Well..... Well I thought I was over that whole few trys before getting it right since she didn't eat the previous batch (some pics of her previous batch that she didn't eat)I don't remove the male though he normally stays in the tank I have sat watching him to see if it's him but she doesn't really let him get close to them but I also can't watch all the time so maybe it's him ? I also have MTS in the tank I dotn see them much though but I've also been wondering if maybe they aren't munching on them at night but I'm not to sure about that either....as for foot traffic I wouldn't say there's much foot traffic around the tank I've got the tank in my room so the only time there's traffic is when I make the bed feed them or just generally looking at them. The tank is about waist height and I'm also running a red light because the bright light seems to make them hide compared to subtle light not sure if that plays a factor?....could movement during the night cause her to eat her fry cause the tank is close to my bed.... Also she's always moving them around she never stays in 1 spot with the babies or she'll make a pit move the babies but then 5mins later she's moved them again but when they do start disappearing its not all at once it's little by little over the course of a few days
20180829_165126.jpg
20180904_122342.jpg
20180811_191904.jpg
20180812_120503.jpg
20180812_115944.jpg

DioAquatics

You and I both lol. I want to keep and breed like 8 different species of apistos. How many other times did they spawn for you? If they only got one spawn right, I think they still need a few more tries. Doesn’t sound like the foot traffic is startling them or making hem feel like the fry are going to be eaten. I would just give them a few more tries, if not, you can try artificially raising the fry.

Ohio Mark

Absolutely awesome fish. Was the same for me after getting my first pair I just wanted more but they so hard to find by me sadly ..... Thank you

I don't line near any good fish stores and the closest to me and the only ones I usually get to our big-box types. My apistos have come from on-line (Aquatic Arts) or other hobbyists, like yukondog who sent some by mail recently.

cichlid4life

CANNIBALISM!!!!!!!!!

yukondog

With my Borellii, I need to remove the male after spawn he seems to have taken a liken to eating his own fry.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jake8995
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Shelilla
Replies
Views