Reaction score
He's kinda floating at the top now. He will swim a little, but not much

Unbelievable
1534224831914-528171859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy T

Valued Member
Reaction score
Omg poor guy! The ammonia must've been off the charts! So glad you got him, he'll do great in your care.
I hope I can save him but it's not looking too good, better but as you can see that ammonia was 4.0-8.0

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My gosh! They ruptured the space time continuum!
In all seriousness I really hope he makes it best of luck

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it's normal he'd have a bit of trouble adjusting to such stark water condition differences. Give him some time in your healthy tank, he may just come around! I'm rooting for your little betta dude!

Billy T

Valued Member
Reaction score
He's been changing depths a little today so that seems good. Not eating yet but I don't think that's a surprise when you have 30 old pellets in a cup. I've seen people post about garlic but I've never tried. Pretty sure he has cotton fin disease or whatever it is. I can't afford medicine but have aquarium salt and melafix and pimafix but have seen these may not be best for a betta. Gonna see how he responds to clean water then if I have to may give him a watered down dose of melafix, but I'm open to suggestions. I'll post some more pics when I get home from work.

Billy T

Valued Member
Reaction score
1534302411884540007643.jpg

1534302678646-1325374955.jpg

1534302858760-497908686.jpg

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's been changing depths a little today so that seems good. Not eating yet but I don't think that's a surprise when you have 30 old pellets in a cup. I've seen people post about garlic but I've never tried. Pretty sure he has cotton fin disease or whatever it is. I can't afford medicine but have aquarium salt and melafix and pimafix but have seen these may not be best for a betta. Gonna see how he responds to clean water then if I have to may give him a watered down dose of melafix, but I'm open to suggestions. I'll post some more pics when I get home from work.
Melafix and Pimafix are dangerous to labyrinth fish, and are about 10x the concentration of the one which is used on betta, Bettafix. But if you are VERY careful about the dosage, it might work to help clear up his fungal infection, if you have nothing else.

There is this stickied thread about Melafix and betta: Update Regarding Labyrinth Fish and Melafix

But if he just has whitish or blueish patches on the edges of his fins, he may already be healing from the ammonia burns. Fungal infections look like little balls of cotton stuck to the fish.

Last edited:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fin&tail rot is a bacterial infection. It can look like fungus, but going on how poor the water in the cup was, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bacterial issue. Are bettas ok with salt (sodium chloride)? If so, I'd add a tonic dose of 1sp per 1-3 gallons. This is a mild dose to help facilitate osmosis and also heal with wounds. Salt also helps with bacterial issues. Salt and daily WCs is what I'd do.

For fungus, I use Methylene blue baths or dabs. Baths if it's all over, swabs if it's only one area. Again, I'm not at all familiar with bettas, so make sure these methods are safe with bettas.

Billy T

Valued Member
Reaction score
1534348128395-1834051982.jpg

Here he is today, still wouldn't eat, tried frozen dried bloodworms today.

Fin&tail rot is a bacterial infection. It can look like fungus, but going on how poor the water in the cup was, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bacterial issue. Are bettas ok with salt (sodium chloride)? If so, I'd add a tonic dose of 1sp per 1-3 gallons. This is a mild dose to help facilitate osmosis and also heal with wounds. Salt also helps with bacterial issues. Salt and daily WCs is what I'd do.

For fungus, I use Methylene blue baths or dabs. Baths if it's all over, swabs if it's only one area. Again, I'm not at all familiar with bettas, so make sure these methods are safe with bettas.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've chose salt and water changes for now, that's what my gut told me so we shall see

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just be easy on salt, I'd go with 1tsp per 10 gallons to start. Add it slowly over a couple hours. Observe. If he tolerates it well, you could add more, up to tsp per 5 gallons. But make sure he doesn't show irritation.

I accidentally mentioned too much salt. It's a dose more for ich than a tonic dose.

Salt does not evaporate, so you must remove water to remove it and redose for water removed while treating.

Billy T

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well my little buddy got a little taste of clean water, now he's in the purest water and roaming happily. RIP Red Durst.
Went and picked up the next dirtiest cup, this one was nowhere as bad. I'd still say she's a baby.
1534441854301-927973980.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 38.5%

Top Bottom