Fell in love

BabsandLoon

I went to pick up more food for the goldies and saw this guy.
Fell in love and brought him home. His name is Sigmund.
I got him all set up in a 5 gallon tank and he acted like he was dying. Seriously spent two days just floating on his side at the top.
I checked everything…water parameters, filter flow, temperature, everything was perfect.
Took him out and put him in a 1/2 gallon critter keeper while I did a water change (since I didn’t know what else to do) and he has been swimming around like he owns the place, happy as can be.
So now I am not sure what to do with him. Obviously he is not happy and thriving in the 5 gallon. I am not happy with him in a 1/2 gallon critter keeper.
So I guess my options are to 1) suck it up and let him have his unfiltered, unheated tiny critter keeper or 2) return the 5 gallon for something smaller like a 3 gallon and see if he will be okay in there.
I’d like him to have something with a filter and heat.

Attachments

• 91967A4D-05EE-4F48-B335-20B5CEFEF6DF.jpeg
    91967A4D-05EE-4F48-B335-20B5CEFEF6DF.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10

betta06

such a cute fish! can you get a picture of his 5 gallon? if there is nothing wrong with it you might want to try a 3 gallon for a month or so then try moving him into the 5 gallon again.

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

It was exactly like this one. Literally identical with the same decorations. I currently have it broken back down and in the box because I was going to return it.

The company makes another tank exactly like this one that is only 2.5 gallons. I just don’t feel comfortable putting him in something that small. (I know it’s only a 1/2 gallon difference than the 3 gallon but still).

Attachments

• A96C94BB-A10B-429F-80AC-AD37B0816A40.jpeg
    A96C94BB-A10B-429F-80AC-AD37B0816A40.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

mattgirl

Maybe you could just lower the water level by half in the 5 gallon and see if he is more comfortable. If he is just add more water each week until the tank is filled. When you do your water changes take out 3 quarts and add back in a full gallon.

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

I can try that.

I have just never had a betta that didn’t appreciate a bigger tank.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yeah that is pretty strange.... but another member had a Betta that hid and was skittish too. Maybe try some tannins in the water to darken things up a bit. Some kind of floating plants even if they are fake.

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

All I can do is try and see what happens.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I can try that.

I have just never had a betta that didn’t appreciate a bigger tank.
If it is the wide open spaces stressing him out maybe you could block out 3 sides of the tank. It may help him feel more secure as he gets used to so much space. If he has lived his life up to this point in a small container sitting on a shelf, then in a box to get to the store and then on a shelf in the store he may not understand why he can see so much now and may feel very vulnerable to attack. He doesn't know nothing is going to be able to get him.

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom