Feeling limited by 10 gallon tank

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon that I just don't know what to do with. Currently it is well planted, with 2 otos getting to know the place. I wanted a couple of african cichlids, but learned that I need to add salt to the tank, which wouldn't make the otos happy. or would it? I like colorful, fairly peaceful fish. I don't want to overstock, but I also don't want to put just a single fish in there such as 1 Beta. I thought about getting a pair of small Angels, but I read that the otos might be prone to sucking the slime from their flat bodies. Any suggestions for an interesting pair or small group? I already have a ten gallon with tetras..

orangeson

Reaction score
hey go get your africans and get rid of those ottos and get a small pleco that will take care of your 10 gallon tank ;D

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi,
I don't think plecos will be the right choice for a 10 gallon tank. otos r just fine, u can keep guppies in that 10 gallon tank. u can keep 4 female guppies and 2 male guppies, they r very interesting fish, I love the males especially because of their fascinating fin colors. u can also keep mollies or platies, their characteristics r same as guppies. provide enogh hiding places for the otos.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the salt being necessary for african cichlids. I know they prefer higher ph levels in their tank, and many folks add some nutrients to their tank called "cichlid salts" but I'm not sure it's actually salt. Here's a link you might be interested in. There are african cichlids called shell dwellers or "shellies". Fish like multies do well in a 10 gallon tank. They are adorable, and are very active fish:

Here's another link with cookie cutter setups for 10 gallon tanks:

OP
I

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
thank you so much for the interesting links! I definitely don't want to get rid of my otos, they're way too cute and functional. my algae ridden tank is clean already, and I just got them yesterday! I already have a Pleco and he's huge (7in) and still growing. that's plenty enough pleco for me.

New Threads