feeling like an idiot this morning

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

2 weeks ago I set up a plastic bin QT using a file bin so its pretty deep deeper then a 10 g tank this is my nieces tank set up at my parents house . Well I added a sponge filter and an air pump from walmart rated for 5 -10 gallons it didn't occur to me that water depth would be an issue I was apparently wrong. For the first week the tank wasn't full to the top and the air pump worked fine, on thursday I filled the tank to the top to accommodate my new not fully submersible heater because the fill to line was higher then the water level was, I failed to make sure that the air pump was still working. Here it is monday I just got to my parents house and went to check on all the fish after the bad storms we had last night, My parents never lost power but I wanted to make sure nothing burned out do to power surges or anything and noticed the air pump running but not bubbling so I pulled the filter up out of the water to make sure air was moving and about half way up it started bubbling again so Ii put it back on the bottom of the tank and it stopped again so I know its a depth issue. My mom happens to have a case of brand new mason jars so im going to stick 1 of those in the tank on its side and put the filter on there to raise it up hopefully that will keep the filter running until I can get the next size up pump. I also need to do a huge wc tho since the filter hasn't been running properly since at least thursday the fish don't seem to be suffering ill effects but that water stinks. This post doesn't really require responses just posting about how much of an idiot I feel like right now.

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You sit there and call yourself an idiot and expect no one to post with a correction!

Your not an idiot. Nobody knows everything or thinks of everything.

Rather than calling yourself and idiot, maybe you should call yourself human!

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

You're not an idiot. You made a mistake, not a stupid one either! I would never have thought of that and I'm sure many more wouldn't either. You should be proud you checked up on them following the storms and noticed the problem and solved it!! Well done to you.xx

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Thank you im just glad the fish are ok they dont even looked stressed colors still good and fins arent clamped and they ate.
    The tanks not pretty but it works and now the cory has a second cave not that a clear cave is much good but what ever .

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I find my cories like to slide on the glass. I guess it's kinda smooth. I pop a glass jar in sometimes for them to play in :)

Glad the fish are okay!xx

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

the cory i have in QT right now doesn't seem to even bother with the cave she just hides under the plants im hoping she will bring the cory in our main tank out of his shell he hides all the time. as for sliding on the glass she likes to swim about half way up and run her body down the inside of the tank to the bottom of the tank

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I found my Cories only perked up when I had a few of them. Probably when I reached four they seemed more active and when I had 9, they were crazy ;) so it should help bring the other one out of her shell! and it's a great excuse to keep adding them!

Love the surfing cory!x

8. frogfan Well Known Member Member

my plan is 2 more guppies 4 more corys and then 6 danios which will bring me to 6 of each , 18 fish total in the 29 g tank then i'm going to get a couple snails . i think at that point we can call it stocked will have 1 top swimmer 1 bottom and 1 mid- top swimmer

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

sounds like a really good plan. You'll have activity everywhere and some beautiful fish!x

10. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Well i got to my parents this morning to find the black and green guppy traped between the jar and tank wall no idea how long it was there but hes not doing well laying on his side on the bottom then half hearted ly swimming a few inchs he could just be worn out some time will tell

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

oh no! Best of luck to him.xx

12. frogfan Well Known Member Member

i have no idea how long he was there his back looks funny he may have broken it struggling. We had a tetra that died during an ich out break that got stuck all the time like 5 or 6 times and got all tore up and attacked by other fish while it was stuck and he always lived but needed to rest for a few days to recover so im hopeful but not optimistic i need to put some stress coat in the tank

13. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.xx

14. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I think a pretty smart person sees a problem, recognizes the cause, and corrects the problem.
    An idiot might be someone who sees a problem, doesn't look into it, and sets up a second tank in precisely the manner of the first tank, expecting a different result.
    I'd put you rather firmly in the first camp:), based upon your first post. Hoping for the best for the injured fish, but try to remember that basically everyone has a tale to tell of some sort of freakish, unforeseeable accident, so try not to beat yourself up over this as well.
    I can only make so many good natured posts in any given day, after all:)-----rick

15. frogfan Well Known Member Member

He moved.to the front of the tank.so i look a picture his back looks pretty bad . He is still trying to swim a little but less far mostly trying to hide and hes bresthing really fast but theres no telling how long he was pinned and i dont think he could breath very well while he was stuck . I dont want him to suffer if his backs broken but i dont want to euth him if hes just worn out and needs some.time.to recover. When the tetra used to get stuck he would lay on the bottom on his side for a few hours but then go back to swimming normally but he only got stuck in a hole in 1 of the ornaments and could still breath. The tetras bigest issue was that he would get torn up by the other fish and from strugeling to get free.

Attached Files:

16. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have a neon tetra that had an injury that looked like this. He is still bent but has otherwise recovered.

Euthanasia is a completely personal choice. I can see why you feel you should and I can see why you feel you shouldn't. You have my support whatever you decide to do, I fully understand exactly where you are coming from. Lots of luck :)

17. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Well it died now there is only 1 guppy in the tank. I got them 2 sturdays ago so its been 10 days I think ill end their QT next saturday so the remaining guppy isnt alone to long I know this can introduce stuff into the main tank but im pretty confidant the fish are healthy and im worried that not having another guppy in there will stress the remaining one out enough that it could get sick. Besides that the cory in the main tank really needs to come.out of his cave, its in a good spot where the water flow pushes alot of food right into the cave so he sits there all day eatting he dosent have a reason to come out.

18. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry. RIP Green and black guppy guy.

That sounds like a good plan. Many operate without a QT and never have problems. Just keep your eye on them :)

19. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Actually, I think that if you are confident of your guppies' health, some company of fellows might reduce, rather than induce stress---in either case, you quite obviously feel for your fish, likely the most important thing in their health---all the best to you, rick

20. frogfan Well Known Member Member

that is what I meant ric that being in the bigger main tank with other guppies and another cory may stop some stress induced things like ich from showing up .