Feeling Like A Newbie.. Ammonia Levels Won't Drop.

• Thread starter CreatureQueen
  • Start date

CreatureQueen

Hello all, I have come to the point where I'm at my wits end and need some help.

I have a 10 gallon tank with one channled apple snail that has been running now for almost 3 months. I have always done fish in cycles and used a seeded sponge filter to start this tank....

Little background, I left the snail with my ex who almost killed her, left her in a rotting black water tank with no food, no light, I was finally able to convince him to let me take her and had fo start this tank on the fly, took the sponge that was in the blackwater and got everything put in in one day. The tank started the cycle almost immediately... ammonia seemed to be going down... and then bam, back again, this time full force. API master kit reads .50 - 1 ppm each time I test and has not gone down in weeks. I have limited feeding, and preforming 30-50 percent water changes either daily or every other day for the past 2 months. I am using stability and prime to keep the water safe while I try to figure this out, but I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Brizburk

Well Known

Skavatar

Well Known
have you tested your tap water?

CreatureQueen

She will eat any plant the goes in the tank in a mere matter of minutes... shes an apple snail... yes tested tap last night reads 0 ammonia.

Skavatar

Well Known
best conclusion is that you lost the BB in the sponge filter some how.

CreatureQueen

Hm, I was worried about that, still, isn't 2 months a little long to still be reading such high ammonia? Shouldn't I be father along by now? Why have I not gotten Nitrite yet?

Skavatar

Well Known
what else is in your tank? do you use dechlorinator?

something is keeping the bacteria from growing.

CreatureQueen

Currently stocked with a Large apple snail, and 1 small nerite. No plants, some crystals and agate rocks. sand bottom. Only filtration is a large sponge filter, with a 40 gal rated air pump. water constant 75 degrees. Only chemicals I use is prime and Stability. Capful each in the bucket of water, sit for a few minutes and dump in. I did recently decide to clean the sponge in old tank water, squeezed a few times and the water was BLACK. PH is like 7.6

Top Bottom